Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something is missing, under my carb.

Personally, it seems to me to be an extra part to go wrong. If you can run the gas pedal with enough discipline to keep the speedo at 60 mph or less, you dont need one. It was handy in the military due to younger soldiers, 18-20 year olds especially, who were driving their first vehicle...well someone elses vehicle they didnt have to pay for or pay to fix......

If you have enough hose to fit between the metal piece on top of the carb and the underhood canister air cleaner housing, use that and dont bother to change to the cabr mounted style...course maybe you like the other one OR the cost of replacement filters is so much less that it is worth swapping on that count...but it should work with either one.

If you are going for CORRECT for your truck, put on the governor...though early trucks didnt have them and some later trucks didnt either...no one has a list of which did or didnt...the only tip off would be the underhood aircleaner on a non governor truck...otherwise, only you would know.

Actually the point the gov.'s were factory installed is in the parts tm, it states- air cleaner assy (large type) used on trucks after serial number 28680(715) 13577(725) 10001(726). But,yes, a responsible operator would'nt really need it.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

True, the parts manual lists a point for each model of the G890 series where governors began to be installed BUT not every truck after that number has one. Same thing happens with the old style distribution box and the new solid state style.

The prevailing theory thus far is that Jeep used what was on hand at the time...so if they ran out of governors and had the carb mounted air cleaners, that setup would go in instead...just a theory but possible.

Allright, so if I run this beast responsibly, a governor is not nessesary. I do not even know exactly what the air cleaner looks like, or how it fits, so that is why I asked. I do plan on putting the hood mounted air cleaner on, as my truck was so equipped. I think I finally figured out how the air cleaner fits on.. I saw a new kit available through Memphis. If I am interpreting the new kit correctly, the flexible 'knuckled' hose comes from the canister and plugs on to the elbow on top of the carb. That allows it to stretch when the hood is open. Also included with the new kit is the governor.

Basically what I am getting out of this is simple:

I can put the carb directly on to the manifold I have. I do not have a governor, nor do I require one. If I change the manifold studs, I would not need a governor. I can use the stock hood mounted canister without issue, without a governor. I still need to run the truck at 60 MPH top speed because I will kill it if I do not.

Please, feel free to clarify anything I missed. You guys are getting me, an M715 Newbie, on track. I appreciate it.

Perfectly correct.

I have a file that has the instructions for the canister style air cleaner...I need to upload it...I'll post a link in a while.

Here ya go:
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...aircleaner.pdf

It is linked on the Online Manuals page linked at the top of the page...its in the table at the top of the page.

Thank You! That was just what I needed to see.

Glad to help...actually that is a file we lost in the crash and recently a member sent it to me since he still had a copy...what a deal!

You can place the governor on the truck after cutting out the internals. I bought one from a member who gutted it. My crankcase hose does not fit correctly with the fording kit valve and the gov missing. The gov put back will put all the parts where they are supposed to be.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21