Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a few Questions

Default Got a few Questions

Hello all. Now the the weather is starting to be a little more forgiving. I can evaluate more. While replacing all my vacuum and fuel lines i noticed a tiny hole on the top half of the pump in about the 5:30 position. Not sure if its a vent hole. My camera phone doesnt allow the greatest close-ups. Is this a vent hole? Doesnt seem to be too pretty so im thinking a puncture...

Also My truck had come with the battery box removed with 1 missing mounting post. In a lot I bought on ebay, the missing post wasnt even listed but came w it. But now setting thing up. Its not visually lookin right... I have the "V" crossmembers. The middle of my thumb is where the threads start. Seems way too high on both. Am i missing something?

My battery box is also missing hardware up front on the sides. There are tapped holes w the same pattern. Am i missing something?

And lastly. From what i can tell from the manual. These are for mounting the toolbag. I have no idea where they go....

Thank you. And I apologize if this is too much for a thread.

As to the battery hold downs. You need two hold downs one goes on the rear of the rear battery and the other goes on the front of the front battery. Then the threaded rods go from the back hook to the front hold down on both sides. then from the front hook to the back hold down on both sides. Hope this helps?
    1969 M715

the last item are for the gas tank straps to attach to the bed

Default Holes

The extra holes in the battery box is so the lid can be reversed. The holes are for the latches that are now on the back in your picture. You have the option of a "square" battery box like you now have or "slanted".

Adding comments to the battery hold down studs as posted above, there are pieces of angle iron, maybe 1" x 1" that fit across the battery lips and have holes in the 90 degree bend for the studs. If no one else posts a picture, I will later.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

That hole in the top of the pump, is covered by the gasket/diaphragm. It most likely is a location hole for the machining of the threads in the casting. In my years of wrenching, I've seen many parts with holes and other 'means' of setting the part into the fixtures for machine/manufacturing processes.

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    the battery box is so the lid can be reversed. The holes are for the latches that are now on the back in your picture. You have the option of a "square" battery box like you now have or "slanted".

Adding comments to the battery hold down studs as posted above, there are pieces of angle iron, maybe 1" x 1" that fit across the battery lips and have holes in the 90 degree bend for the studs. If no one else posts a picture, I will later.
    I would also like to see a few pictures of the correct hardware in place, holding down the batteries.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmac6026 View Post
    the last item are for the gas tank straps to attach to the bed
    No, Those don't look like the gas tank, strap brackets.

But, I removed a pair of those identical brackets from the inside of my battery box also.
    I'm trying to remember how they were bolted in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    No, Those don't look like the gas tank, strap brackets.

But, I removed a pair of those identical brackets from the inside of my battery box also.
    I'm trying to remember how they were bolted in there.
    Yea. you are right . too short for the tank straps

In the "Online Maintenance Manual" section above,

the second manual in the list ( the - 20 manual ) on pages 109 and 110, there are a few photos of the stock battery box.... but the clips in question are not shown well...

I wonder if those are the J bolt hold down clips ? Part # 14 J-bolt spacer and nut ?
    Or perhaps the # 16 Battery holddown clamps?

Perhaps it will make more sense to you ?
    Worth a look...
    My batteries were moved, so I cant go out and look in the stock location.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/manuals/20acrobat.pdf

another "not so clear" image:

By the way....
    I like this Grill: