Thread: Carb trouble

Default Carb trouble

I've just bought a M715. The previous owner had the carb rebuilt after he had trouble starting it this year after winter storage. He was driving it to me when he stoped for gas and it would not stay running after he filled it. Does anyone have any ideas?

JRoge,

A few ideas come to mind. First, make sure you have an in-line see-through filter right after the fuel tank, and another filter just before the carb. When the fuel flows into the tank, it stirs-up all kinds of "floating things" inside the fuel tank. Did the period of in-operation dry-out the fuel pump diaphragm and it finally cracked? The repair manual at the top of the page tells how to test the fuel pump.

My truck won't start when it is cold unless I give it a full choke for 1-2 seconds when I crank it. And, I have to give it "more" choke to start it when it is warm.

I had the carb and fuel pump rebuilt on my truck about three years ago, and it still will not idle very well without giving it a little choke and playing with the gas pedal and getting the choke "just right".
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

Or it could be a bad coil. My ranch M715 coil died last fall right after I changed out a bad fuel pump. Changed the pump, started the truck and it ran fine for 30 min and then died. It would fire but not run after that. Changed the coil and all was good again.

My truck wouldn't stay running and would only start intermittently once. I was sure it had to be fuel related and went through the carb and fuel pump, but none of that fixed it. It ended up being the condenser. I put an old spare in and it fired right up and ran normally. Maybe pull a plug and see how the spark looks. That should at least tell you which system to look into.
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

Thanks, I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Also I may be in need of an exhaust manifold, any out thhere?

JR