Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front park lights

Default Front park lights

Are the front parking lights supposed to go off when the headlights are on?
    If I turn the top right lever one click I have park lights, 2clicks the park lights go out but the headlights come on,
    Is this right? or have I screwed something else up?

That was the standard design of that time, even regular cars worked that way then.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Mouhahaha .... i had the same "trouble" ..... and the guys on this board told me that YES it's normal !! I even change the 3 levers switch because i was sure the switch was the problem !!
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Turn on the 'park' lights, the headlights should go out also. Mine do.

Default Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by bggrntrk View Post
    Are the front parking lights supposed to go off when the headlights are on?
    If I turn the top right lever one click I have park lights, 2clicks the park lights go out but the headlights come on,
    Is this right? or have I screwed something else up?
    Something wrong. Park lights are on the lower left switch.

First position on upper right switch is "stop" lights so you have turn signals and brake lights. Second position is headlights plus stop lights. Go to the "manuals" section for a complete description and drawing.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...SwitchDesc.pdf
    Last edited by rboltz; February 14th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

First I want to thank the guys who did the wiring diagrams on here. Then I want to wring my son in laws neck for unplugging all of my wires coming thru the firewall.
    I have spent hours trying to figure out what goes where. My wire numbers do not seem to match with either of the wiring diagrams. Some do , but not all.
    I have headlights, I have park lights and tail lights, and brake lights.
    I do not have turn signals or any of the black out lights.
    I am in the process of checking all grounds as I read in the archives this causes problems. i also managed to screw up 1 of the small park light bulbs by twisting it to far, so that needs replacing.
    Is there anyway to test the turn signal flasher to see if it is working, I can make them flash by working the lever up an down but not like they are supposed to.

Is your turn signal flasher a box with lot's of wires screwed to the lid or does it have a single cannon plug. If it is the box with wires, then you should upgrade to the newer cannon plug style since the old style has mechanical relays. The newer solid state units are much more robust. If it is the newer style then you probably need to replace the flasher unit.

It is the newer syle with the single plug. I've been looking online and it appears to be the same as a Duece an a half.
    With my wiring appearing to have different numbers and letters I think someone has swapped the wiring at some point.

The newer solid state flasher unit is the same for all MV's.

There is a way to make your running lights and head lights be on at the same time. I forget the exact wires that need to be messed with, but it is possible with a little bit of extra wiring. Why? Would be my next question.

One neat feature of the 3 lever switch is flashing your head lights. I always run with my lights on when I am going down the highway on trips because our green trucks tend to blend into the back ground for other drivers. When they are driving with a 10-20 mph over take speed, I want them to see my lights. MV's get passed a lot in other words. I appreciate it when I am pulling a trailer and the person I just passed flashes their head lights to let me know I am clear to pull back over. I try to do the same when I get passed. Being able to reach down and just flick the dash light arm to "park" and back up again a few times sure is an easy and fast way to flash the lights.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw