Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to M715

Default new to M715

Hi all, I am very new to the M715. I had never even seen one until 2 weeks ago. I have been looking for some info on the one I obtained. I tried to read some old posts and I am sure you are tired of answering the same old questions but here goes.
    I found the numbers on the hood and tailgate. None on the bumpers.
    Is it possible to obtain the bumper numbers/letters? I want to put the decals and numbers back on because they have been sanded off.

What info could you tell me about these numbers for my truck?

Hood/tailgate 3F 6495
    Delivered 7-67
    Ser# 13846
    Model 3521
    Stock# 23209216365

Any info would be appreciated. I love this truck and want to restore it to its original glory.
    Thanks

I'm sure Beast and k8icu will be along shortly to fill you in on more than you could every possibly want to know about the numbers!

I just popped in here to welcome you aboard!
    -- Tim Taylor

Meanwhile, this short thread will go a long way toward answering your questions: Hood and Tail gate markings...
    -- Tim Taylor

Thanks Binford. I am really excited about this truck. I wish; like most, I could know every detail about it's history.

Once the bumper markings are gone, that's it. I found several sets of markings on mine (even matching ones on the doors), but never could fully understand what specific branch the truck was used.

As for the hood reg. number, you are only 99 trucks from mine roughly. Remember, though, there might have been other trucks in there, like a Ford flatbed dually or whatever in the 3F class. My serial is 13962, so a difference of 116 trucks there. So make of it as you wish.

Welcome to the group.

Scott

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Welcome aboard!

The hood number was assigned to the truck from the day it was sent out of Toledo. It stays with the truck its entire life.

Without the bumper numbers there is really no way of knowing what unit the truck served with, or where it was sent to in its former life. It seems there really have been no records turned up anywhere to detail any service information about the M715's even if you did know its unit.

Be glad you had a hood number. My truck had nothing at all. At least nothing legible other than a few Kentucky National Guard markings on the rear bumperette under a couple layers of paint.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

More good reading here, including the meaning of the hood numbers and more:

Hood lettering stencils/font size?

The delivery date is when the truck was delivered, not necessarily built, to the Military. This was in 7(July)-1967. This is fairly early. I collect the VINS and have made a list of the known VINS here:
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=vin_registry
    As yours is not on the list yet, I will add it in.
    The serial number is the VIN number AND tells which truck in the production run it is. The first truck was numbered 10001, so yours is the 3846th M715 built...out of about 36000.

Not sure on the model number...Ive seen it before but I am not remembering the meaning...

Stock# 23209216365----actually this should be 2320-921-6365. This indicates the truck was built as an M715 without winch. if that number ended in '6366' it would be an M715 with winch.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Look another fairly normal human catches the Kaiser disease.Now when you bleed let you bleed Olive Drab.

Welcome to the zone. Trust me when I say there is a wealth of knowledge here. And even some things you may not even know you wanted to know. You'll see.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks, great info. I would love to start lettering my M715. Thanks to you guys I know a little more about it.
    I have another question though.
    If I wanted to put something on the bumper that seems legit; what numbers and letters do I use. Is there a source; even though this truck might not have been in that company; so that it is lettered correctly?

Thanks again,
    Shawn