Thread: Speedometer cable removal

Default Speedometer cable removal

Does anybody have any idea how to remove the TC end of the speedometer cable on a stock NP200? It's a regular speedo threaded fitting, but there is absolutely no room to work. I can't even get two fingers on it. I'm not even sure that taking the bed off would help. It looks like the whole parking brake drum assembly has to come off.

Any tips?
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Its a bear. To get it off I was able to get a long screwdriver to turn it loose. get a light and a comfortable spot cause you be there a while. Mine got burnt on the exhaust,and i did not want to mess with it. I was cursing the whole time. Getting it back on is even more of a trick. I was looking at pulling the brake also, and i would have if It didn't go back on in a 1/2 hr or so. I used a screwdriver and was able to get my hand up there to push in on the cable as i turn it with the screw driver. If you are removing the cable to replace it , undue it at the dash first ,then pull the whole cable underneath and use the cable to unscrew it,after you loosed it ,If you find an easier way share it with us. good luck

The best way I found to get it on and off was to ask my wife for help. Her hands a very thin and she was able to get her fingers in there.

Good one ,what happens if your wife bigger than you ,Should you still ask for help? Mine usually tells me how to do it anyway.

If she's bigger than you,it's Yes Dear.!! Anything you say.

The really long needle nose pliers worked for getting mine off. Getting it back on took an eternity. The push with fingertip and turn with screwdriver finally worked, but it was really frustrating.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I found that you can see it pretty well if you just look up from the bottom, and I removed the rear crossmember bar to get up in there a little easier. Still tight, but it worked.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It is a bear!!!!

Skinny long fingers are a great choice...maybe Barrman will have a moment online...I think it was he...who had a way to do it that, while still difficult, was easier than the 200 trials and errors finger method...