Thread: dash light covers

Default dash light covers

My dash lights (Instrument cluster light and High beam indicator) were sprayed over by a previous owner. What would be a good way, if possible, to get this off? I thought about scraping it off, but I don't want to scratch it up. I don't know if a solvent will cloud up the plastic. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks up their sleeve- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

My cluster had 3 lights, two of witch were solid metal, the high beam indicator had small red lens at the end for the light to shine through. I just cleaned that, I think I used lacquer thinner but not sure. The other two I painted black again and left the washer or o ring off so the light can shine out through the bottom if that makes sense. My dash panel has white or clear light backlit lighting from the gauges with a red glow from underneath the two red housings. The high beam indicator shines red when on high beam.

Thanks, Todd! I was looking at the caps and I thought it looked like metal pressed over the plastic threaded part. I couldn't figure it out, but it makes sense to let light bleed out parallel to the dash itself and not out. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I remember the gauges being really hard to see at night- gonz
    Come and take it

E-Bay has nice shiny new red plastic ones all the time. I had some that weren't painted and didn't like them. The red glow made it hard to see out the windshield. I put some of my painted over/metal covered ones back on. That keeps the light behind the dash and on the gauges like it is supposed to be.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Gonz, I got some if you want them.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Yeah, you need those light covers mostly covered over. The high-beam light (lower one, centered on the panel) has the middle open. The upper two on mine also have the centers open. I think they were supposed to be like that so you'd have a bit of a reminder that your 3-lever switch was still on.

But yeah, the two upper ones are positioned so light is cast through the slots behind the panel to (sort of) illuminate the gauges at night.
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    Gonz, I got some if you want them.
    Thanks, gimp! I have the three plastic pieces, but I didn't know that the caps were supposed to be covered. I may have old bulbs in there, so I need to find out if I need 12 volt bulbs instead. That is probably the reason it's so dim- or it's just me being dim- gonz
    Come and take it

I'm at work- does anyone know the bulb number for the dash lights? I can't ebay here either. Darn brownshirts. I found this in searching, but I don't know the light number

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...rsionChart.pdf
    Come and take it

Default Dash Lamps

#1829 is the 24 volt number. All the 24 volt lamp numbers are on the wiring drawings I made and can be found in the manuals section here.

So then (from the PDF light file above):
    6 volt 12 volt 24 volt
    N/A 1892 1829

Looks Like I need 1892 bulbs- gonz
    Come and take it