Thread: Carb rebuild

Default Carb rebuild

Well I went out to start the 715 today it started fine but then would die when I tried pulling out. I can hear the fuel pump running but the filters have very little fuel in them. I pulled the aircleaner and cleaned the carb out real good and then I saw fuel leaking from the rear of the carb. It was leaking from the throttle lever (part #49 in the 34 manual). It was like a slow drip when I would depress the throttle lever a few times manually. I'm going to assume that this is a sealed part and there is no way fuel can leak out of the shaft, please correct me if I'm wrong. So I'm thinking maybe the the carb to intake gasket is bad.
    Now to my question I did a search and read up on the carb rebuild kits out there. Did anyone try the suy from Canada? Are the AB Linn,Memphis kits ok with modern fuels? I love driving this truck but it has been such a PITA compared to my CJ8.

Went out and started the truck and it ran fine took it for a dirve and it runs until you have a hevay load, like 2nd gear on a step hill. I still think its a fuel problem I'm going to try and swap the filters again and see what heppens I can see coffee grind size sedement in the rear first filter the one near the carb looks good. I may have to drop the tank and take a look inside and see how things look in there.

Funny thing is I drove this truck around houston and never had any problems. Could be different gas or ethanol in gas freed up junk in the tank. I used fuel from my ranch in it that had no ethanol. ABlinn and Memphis kits are all the same. I have a couple rebuilt carbs on my trucks that work fine. Be sure to set the float level as specified in the instructions or you will have trouble after the rebuild.

Did you rebuild the carb on this truck? Its looks fairly new and clean.

No. Never gave me a problem. Always started easy and drove fine.

Ya it was fine the first couple days then that real hot day a fuel line split so I changed out all the lines and filters and now it just doesn't seem to want to stay running. Anyhow I ordered a rebuild kit from Memphis toady.

Quote Originally Posted by pghjeeper View Post
    Ya it was fine the first couple days then that real hot day a fuel line split so I changed out all the lines and filters and now it just doesn't seem to want to stay running. Anyhow I ordered a rebuild kit from Memphis toady.
    Since you replaced a bunch of stuff, you might also want to look for spots where air could leak into the lines. It might run ok at idle, but not get enough fuel to rev up.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

I'm going to check that today.

The carburetor guy in Canada has apparently dropped off the face of the earth. I've sent him several e-mails that have gone unanswered.

My CJ ran similarly to what you describe, pgh. Turns out it was gunk in my fuel tank that had loosened up and was clogging my fuel line. You also have a "sock" at the end of the pickup tube in the tank that could be slowing the flow of fuel. If that's even the problem....
    -- Tim Taylor