Thread: Gas tank gauge

Default Gas tank gauge

My gas gauge always reads full. This could lead to amusing circumstances that I would like to avoid.

What do I need to check or test to see if I can get it to read true?

There are others here that can explain what to check and how to check. If you end up needing to replace the sending unit in the fuel tank it is pretty straight forward once you get the tank removed. It would also be a good time to check the inside tank condition. Napa sells a universal 12v sending unit kit, I installed one with my new Isspro gauges, it works and seems to read fairly accurate. You will have to check around for the 24v sending units if your keeping it stock. I'm electronically challenged, sorry I'm not much help.

My M715 brush fire truck reads empty or accurately depending on the day or the time the truck is used. I suspect that it is a ground issue. You may want to check the easy stuff first (i.e. ground contacts), although I would suspect that the gauge would not register (i.e. empty) if the ground was faulty. Due to my specific use of the truck, it isn't something that would cause a problem for me, so I haven't elected to fix it.

Wink fuel gage

Keep in mind that when you order a new sending unit. Got mine from memphis the wire is faceing the oposit way so the wire is to sort to fit.: I ran into this when I did mine just a word of advice johnny

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Try first to just disconnect the wire to the sending unit and see if it eliminates the full reading. When disconnected, the guage should drop to empty. If it does, most likely there is a sending unit issue, being that something is shorted to ground in it.

If not, then the wire from the tank to the guage is shorted to ground. Try next to disconnect it at the guage. If it still reads full, you have a faulty guage.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™