Thread: Canvas top pattern

Default Canvas top pattern

Does anyone have a pattern for making your own canvas top? Or an old/beaten up top that could be used to draft a pattern with? Between crewing on a tall ship and making stuff for reenacting, I have gotten quite good working with canvas. But, I need a starting point. Beachwood Canvas has a 6 week turn around for new tops, and I am sure I could make one cheaper and faster.

Thanks

Zach

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    Does anyone have a pattern for making your own canvas top? Or an old/beaten up top that could be used to draft a pattern with? Between crewing on a tall ship and making stuff for reenacting, I have gotten quite good working with canvas. But, I need a starting point. Beachwood Canvas has a 6 week turn around for new tops, and I am sure I could make one cheaper and faster.

Thanks

Zach
    Vintage Power Wagons had them on the shelf shipped same day, back in December. $340.00 if I remember correctly....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow. Will be nice to get the artic top off, and easier then making my own.

I am kinda wondering about making a bikini top for it. A sun shade with the back left open. You can get them for the M37, and I think it would be a neat idea during the summer months for my M715.

I'm Irish. I burn easy.

Default Cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Vintage Power Wagons had them on the shelf shipped same day, back in December. $340.00 if I remember correctly....
    I believe Surplus City Jeep is quite a bit cheaper, they had them in stock.
    I bought their's, fits great, needs a bigger back window though.

http://www.surplusjeep.com/topscush.htm
    943739 M-715 CAB TOP CANVAS 265.00

Default You can have my old one

You are only 15 miles from me. My "good" top got torn by my body shop so I bought a new one. If you still want a pattern or just patch my old one, it's yours.

Awesome. yeah, I'd like that. I want to see if I can modify to to make a bikini, as stated above. THANKS!

Zach

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

One thing you'll probably find as I have.....Once it gets nice out, the top comes off, and you won't put it back on until winter. I find it to be pretty warm in there with it on in the summer.

I pulled my top, bows and frames and just carry small 8X8 tarp and four metal spring clamps for overnight in case it decides to rain. The top and frames go with me on a long trip.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Mona at New Life Canvas makes a top with a zip-up back. Not quite a bikini, but pretty close to it. Very nice for warm days.

But if you thought 6 weeks was a long wait, Mona's out probably 6 MONTHS!!!

-- Tim Taylor

I stopped by Rboltz's place today and picked up my top. A couple small tears, but nothing to be afraid of. I'll use it this summer, and then break it apart to make a pattern with over th winter. Bikini and Full top. Even be able to salvage the vynal window!
    I also traced the top bows. Look easy to make, but I need a bigger tube bender. I might try a conduit bender, or make a jig and just put it in a vice.

Boltz's rig looks good. The project is really comming along. Hell of a nice guy. THANKS!

Zach

zach