Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "what's this" post....

Default Another "what's this" post....

Can't figure this one out, either. It appears to be some kind of electronic brake locking system or something, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I don't think this is stock. Any ideas?

That is a brake lock...when applied it puts the brakes on just like standing on the brake pedal...

Can everyone see the pic??

Do I really need this if the parking brake works? Is this stock?

No Jon I cannot. Chick, it is not meant as a parking brake.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

It is an item commonly known as a "line-lock"

They were popular on drag racing cars of the 60's, and they consisted of a solenoid operated valve, that once you depressed the brake pedal, you activated and it would keep pressure on whichever brake circuit it was installed on.

The racers would install it on the front brake circuit, so that they could do a burnout without holding the brake pedal, which was especially helpful in a manual tranny car, unless you had 3 feet!

Not sure why it was in an MV though......and it looks like it was from something else with Stewart Avionics on it.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Here's a link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/chicklin...24224628215730

So, would this be something you use when you're winching? Or maybe firing a mounted 50 cal machine gun?

A few of these trucks came with sch a device...called a mico lock...not sure if thats exactly what you have as I havent seen one in person...I think Kwai has at least one truck wit it.

It was used on the trucks that came with the generator/welder.

Ah, that might make sense. The guy I bought it from mentioned something about being able to hook up a welder. Also, this one has two levers in front of the drivers seat to engage/disengage the front and rear drives. This was a firetruck, so one of them might've been used for a water pump, as well.

Thanks for the info. It could be useful, so I'll see if I can get it working. Do you think that it could be related to the device in this post:

What the heck is this thing?

That thing is mounted near the MC and looks like some sort of hydraulic piston.

If you've got the mico-lock, a boxed shifter to the front lower left of the drive train tunnel and another shift lever just in front of the drivers seat, then you don't own a M715. Does your truck not have the data plates?

The welder/generator trucks are known as 6217 or M724. These trucks had a winch on front and a maintenance box on the back. It was a chassis cab "M715" off the assembly line.

I can't check the data plates right now, but the guy I bought it from had an original M715 manual with it. It has the standard bed, a solid front bumper and no signs of a winch.

It was donated to fire department years ago and I suspect they added some things like the brake lock and the levers to engage/disengage the front and rear axles. It supposedly had a big water pump in it at some point and I think it ran off one of the PTO's.