Thread: Manual Errors about hubs?

Default Manual Errors about hubs?

I was a bit panicked when I cleaned the hubs on my truck prior to priming. The front hubs have 6 studs and the rear have 8. When I removed the lifting brackets, the studs came out and attached are the split washers. I had problems getting the nuts off the studs, now out of the hubs. Can't get those washers off.

I looked at the '20 and '34 manuals and on page 116 of the '20 is a diagram of the hubs. On there, the front has 8 studs and the rear 6. Reverse of my truck. The parts manuals say 6 all around. What gives?

They are 6 in front and 8 in rear...I'll look into the manuals in a while...making supper right now.

It always takes pi times longer than you expect. Get used to it.
    I use a screwdriver to spread the cone washers on the studs and get them off.

Group 13 figure 84 of the -34P parts manual shows the front driving flange as 8 bolt...should be 6...factory error.
    The rear flange is integral to the axle shaft, group 11 figure 77, shows this but not real well...hard to count but you can see 4 in half of it.

Figure 2-89 of my -20 manual shows that 8 bolt hub on the front like the parts manual shows...factory messed that up.

Figre 2-90 of my -20 manual shows the rear axle shaft from the side, like the -34P does but different image, and 4 holes can be seen...so it looks like 8 to me there too...

It looks, from my views, like both ends are 8 bolt...but you have to look careful or its confusing...and IT IS confusing since the front is 6 bolt.

Good eye, never caught that before!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You mean the government made a mistake!!??
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Probably Kaiser did and passed it on to the military....

Those conical washers are a pain on the rear axles. I picked up the tip of whacking the middle of the flange with a BFH once the nuts are removed here on the Zone years ago. This normally gets them loose enough that a screw driver or pliers can be used to pry/twist/pull them off.

It reads like your entire studs came out and you now can't get the nuts off. Is that correct? find two nuts that the axle end of the stud can be screwed into. Tighten them against each other and then put the now locked together nuts in a vice. The original nut should now be able to come off. If not, apply penetrating oil and heat then try again.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Correct!

The studs came out. I got the nuts off now but the split washers are still on there. Did not try to get them off. Getting the studs tight again may be a problem.

I just finished doing this and it's really not hard at all. First spray all the cone washers down with WD 40 and wait about an hour. Come back to them with a chisel and a hammer tap the cones with the chisel from different angles working one at a time. If it doesn't come out go to the next and the next and the next. One will come out eventually then hit the side of the hub a couple times and you will see more ready for come out. The biggest trick is to be patient.