Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Removal: Steps to stock preservation

Default Rust Removal: Steps to stock preservation

In an effort to preserve an investment, I am requesting informative responses to assist in my quest of relieving the stock M715 floor pan of future rust issues. My inexperience in metal repair and preparation for new paint has led me to issue this thread in hopes of answering one important question. How does one remove the tiny specks of rust found in the pitting and metal seams, in order to properly remove all rust prior to painting? Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

The following photographs depict surface rust on a M715 driver's side floor pan. This was caused by a leaking brake master cylinder and failure to identify the problem in a timely manner. Some was also caused by normal foot traffic.

Use Ospho (or other rust killers) to convert the remaining rust. Ospho also leaves a protective coating that helps prevent rust later. Just remove the loose rust and scale and then brush the ospho on. After treatment, you may have some rough areas where the ospho converted large amounts of rust and these areas I brush lightly to remove the converted rust.

After treatment use a good primer. I like the red-oxide phosphate primer from Gillespie. It goes on fairly heavy and includes phosphate which helps to inhibit future rust. Then paint. If you don't use primer you run the risk of rust later under your paint.

I have used Rust Mort with good success. Probably similiar to Kwai's Ospho? Remove as much scale or loose stuff as possible, vacume clean. Use rust mort in 2 or 3 light coats, let dry. I then like to sand lightly and wipe down with lacquer thinner before priming. The rust mort will catalize the rust solid. It does leave some texture to the rust, so starting with clean smooth rust and re sanding after the rust mort has dried is the key to keeping it as smooth as possible. Prime with high build primer if you want to sand it completely smooth. Knock down the primer, and paint.

I agree with both of the above.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Do you have a sorce were I can get that ospho or rust mort??

Napa auto, or Westco paint, Sherwin Williams auto paint. Almost any auto paint store will sell or have Rust mort, follow the directions to a T and you'll be fine.

I found the ospho at ace hardware.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...ORY&itemID=372

I love eastwood stuff-I use the "system" to finish rusted metal.

I second the Eastwood products.
    I also like por-15 Metal ready. I have used both exstensivly in the past.

Zach

Used POR15 in the past--as I remember it was a pita to top coat--had to either get it while it was wet or sand it---Is that still the case?