Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSJ vs M715

Default FSJ vs M715

I am doing an contrast/comparison essay for school and I choose to do it on the FSJ and the M715. I have plenty of differences but not enough similarities. So far I have:

-The front clip
    -The 230 (sort of)
    -they are both 4WD
    -Both built by Kaiser during the same years

What am I missing? thanks.

Both run on gasoline?

Both made out of steel?

Both were painted before they left the factory?

Break the front clip down into various components--hood, fenders, valance, etc.

I'm really not much help here, am I?
    -- Tim Taylor

Cab from the cowl down
    Door bottoms

I have both here so I'll look for more.

Floor sheet metal is the same.

Same heaters too.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Steering wheel on some

Brake pedal looks real close but I have to confirm this, maybe somebody knows for sure.

One notable difference you may or may not have -- No door locks on M715

Steering wheel/column/manual steering box.
    Seat belt mounts.
    Ebrake on the tcase was on the dual rear wheel heavy duty models as were the brake shoes at the wheels.
    Master cylinder/brake light pressure switch/block where the lines split and brake light pressure switch mounts.
    Brake pedal and clutch pedal and supports.
    Clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing NOT the pilot bearing though.

Lower Dash panel – The long one below the flat dash on either side of the steering column.

Steel dash trim (gussets) on both sides of the flat dash next to the door fronts.

I can get you pictures of these, if you like.

This is part of the essay that talks about the similarities (there may be gramatical errors because I haven't correct them yet):

The first thing that you notice about both the civilian FSJ and the M715 are the looks. They both have many of the same body panels that are interchangeable. The reason is because this was the government’s first attempt to take a commercial off the shelf truck and turn it into a military truck. You can take off the front clip from any FSJ and put them on the M715 and vice versa. The front clip includes the front fenders, the valance, the grill, and the hood. You can also swap the cab of the M715 with the cab of any FSJ truck. The M715 has a six cylinder engine that also came in the civilian FSJ in the early years. Both vehicles are four wheel drive and can be driven off road. Four wheel drive allows you to lock in the front wheels to gain better traction. The FSJ and the M715 were both built by the Kaiser Jeep Corporation between 1967 and 1969, so many of the parts came of the same production line. Anyone that has driven either can tell you that they are both very rugged and built to withstand abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Steering wheel/column/manual steering box.
    Brake pedal and clutch pedal and supports.
    Thanks for confirming this because my 76 J10 has power steering with a different clutch pedal setup.

PC This sounds like a fun fun project. Enjoy!

The big change over was 73 and back versus 74 and up...the steering and the brakes changed big right there...along with some other stuff.