Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivetrain layout

Default Drivetrain layout

Does anyone have a photo of the under side of their 715 that shows how the stock drive train is laidout. I have some issues with mine and need some reference to correct my problems.

Thanks

I have a ton of images...if I know more specifically what you are looking for I could be more help...

My truck drive train is a mess. I am specifically looking for the layout of the transfer case and transmission sections of the drivetrain. I also need some photos to reference the correct location of the front drive line to cross members. I am trying to determine if the transfer case is hung correctly with the stock cross members. I am suspicious that the Tcase is hung correctly as there is a huge hole in one of the cross members that the front driveline passes through. The hole was cut with a torch. The front driveline has come into contact with the sides of the cut hole several times and has cut the hell out of the driveline. I doubt this is how the military received the truck. Thanks for the help.

I wonder if it is a non stock transfer case....what is in the cab for shifter(s) for the tcase?

Heres a shot of the transfer case and its crossmembers and mounts:

I cant find a good shot of the front crossmember with the driveshaft right now...but it shouldnt look like you described...for sure!

Can you get a pic of the tcase or the crossmember or both? That and the shifter linkage would speak volumes.

I received the following pics from migz...maybe someone can figure out what I am missing....what is wrong in these pics:

That much looks correct, the shaft is centered, prob. sometime in the past it just got loose and flailed around some once. It should definately be repaired or replaced and taken out of service promtly. Additionaly perhaps the x-fer case mounts are broken or loose, they arent clear in the pics. and as it happens on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-F...spagenameZWDVW
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

That is what I see...a bit of a wrinkle on the front shaft...speedo disconnected...

Does the rear trans mount look like its ok in the 2nd pic...kinda hard to tell.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The driveshaft hole in the crossmember has been either torched out or ground out, because it should have a rolled lip in its inside radius. Maybe the result of an old lift? Has this truck had a springover swap done possibly?

The last pic looks like there isn't a rubber mount between the transfer case mount and the crossmember perch. That would only lower the transfer case about an inch at most and that only on one side.

Otherwise, it all looks pretty much the normal layout
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Oh, and in the last pic the front crossmember for the transfer case has a pretty good bend upward on the drivers side in it.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The truck is still sitting on the stock springs with the spring under set up. So with a stock set up the drive line does run through the front crossmember? I wonder if there was a prblem in the past that the driveline bound on the crossmember and the PO thought it would be a good idea to enlarge the hole. Does anyone have a picture of an unaltered crossmember?