Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M-715 Article in "Army Motors"

Default M-715 Article in "Army Motors"

Nice pictures and history of the M-715 in the latest issue of "Army Motors", Number 123. For those of you who do not belong to the MVPA, I can PDF the article if demand warrants.

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    I can PDF the article if demand warrants.
    Please

Ditto!

It was ok good pics , but it was kinda brief really. And agian brought up the idea the engine being was very good an perhaps underpowered. I never understood that since it could run rings around any M-37 or M- jeep. Also stated the ambulance body was steel, which is incorrect the M-43 was steel but 725 is alluminum (isnt it?). But it was good to something about these trucks, I have been in the MVPA since 1980 and its the first time any article has appeared about them. Its seldom that any show up at mvpa events when I bring mine I alway get- 'I always heard those werent any good!'? How did this reputation ever get established? Most of the ones I saw come out of service were in good shape, usually on their orignal engine and drivetrain etc. Mine has run good for 13 yrs now, I always get mad when someone says that, an they never owned or even drove one. oh well getting off subject....
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Nah, the 725s are steel. I agree though, in stock form, these trucks are great.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Default Things get miligned

Well George, I know what you mean regarding the negatives on the 715. Take the WWII B-26. Lowest losses of any plane with the highest bomb accuracy and you never hear anything but negatives about it if at all.

I am waiting for permission to reproduce the article so as soon as I get it I'll release it. Don't want any copyright problems.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I think there may have been some big Brass that didn't like the 715's and helped to further its bad reputation. That, and the fact that overhead camshafts were space-age tech back in the late 60's.....

Of the few guys I have talked with who remember them and actually had their hands on them, they remembered them as any other military vehicle. They serviced them and used them. Most of the detractors seem to be running on the rumors they've heard.

I also bet that the switch to multi-fuel engines limited their service life as far as heavier trucks go.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The Army didn't go to all diesel till the mid 90s. So that didn't have anything to do with the service life of M715s. They were from the get go a stop gap replacement. They were made to replace the M37 till a suitable replacement could be developed. What happen then is budget cuts of the 70s so the army went to an "off the shelf" truck with the dodge M880 which is a W200 truck. Of course the next "off the self" truck was more militarized in the M1008 CUCV.

Some vehicles get a bad rap...bad news travels farther and faster than good news. So a hand full of GIs didn't like the 715 and the little problems become through rumor big problems. The same thing happen with the M211 with it's auto trans, but that trucks ride is head and shoulders above the M35 as well as a few other things. So there ya go.
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Well George, I know what you mean regarding the negatives on the 715. Take the WWII B-26. Lowest losses of any plane with the highest bomb accuracy and you never hear anything but negatives about it if at all.

I am waiting for permission to reproduce the article so as soon as I get it I'll release it. Don't want any copyright problems.
    I have an episode on the B26 from Wings on tape...the History Channel series on planes not the character series crapola show...the pilots tell that they believed it was the best bomber we had as long as you respected its high wing loading...once you got used to it, it was the "queen of the skies".

rboltz, certainly dont get yourself in trouble...would love to see a copy though.

When did this issue arrive? Is it the newest one?

DJ