Thread: carb problems

Default carb problems

I have rebuilt the carb on the m715,and keeps pouring gas down the throat of the carb. I pulled it again and adjusted the float but it still has a lot of fuel coming off the main cross bar above the throttle plate. it not vaporizing,just pouring down, any Ideas?

Either your float setting is to high or the needle valve is not any good an isint seating. The only other thing is if yours has an electric fuel pump, it may be providing to much pressure, a regulator would be required to control that.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

found this in a search http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=277064
    This might be the problem. Mine is a stock engine, but it shure act like there describing

Quote Originally Posted by george walker View Post
    Either your float setting is to high or the needle valve is not any good an isint seating
    I believe the needle valve George is referring to is the on that the float controls at the fuel inlet. There is an easy way to test to see if this is in fact operating correctly without dissembling the carb.

Remove the carb and empty it of all gas by shaking and turning it in various directions.

With carb upright in the normal position, blow thru the gas inlet port by mouth with a hose or pipe connected. It should pass a small amount of air.

Turn the carb over with mounting base up. This will allow the float to fall into a position closing the valve. The weight of the float should be enough to close the valve.

Blow thru it again – if it is seating properly – it should not pass air. If it passes any air at all you have a bad valve or seat.

I had rebuilt the carb back in Dec. the problem was a clogged hole in the
    Main well and economizer body. I took the carb apart and found crap in One of holes I cleaned it out with a wire from a torch tip cleaner ( handy to have around for cleaning very small orfices) I put the carb back together,bolted it down, and after some minor adj.the engine just idle perfect.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by sf38a1 View Post
    I cleaned it out with a wire from a torch tip cleaner ( handy to have around for cleaning very small orfices)
    Guitar string works even better. Its stiff enough to clean the jets and passages, but not quite enough to accidentally enlarge a passage where you don't intend to.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™