Thread: Tie rod ends

Default Tie rod ends

I need to replace all four tie rod ends, (pitman arm to steering knuckle and steering knuckle to steering knuckle). I went to the local O'Reilly's to order the tie rod ends and they of course had to look it up in their book so I told them 1968 Jeep Gladiator. The parts listed were Moog ES354R and ES354L, but when I compared the tie rod that I pulled off, it was MUCH larger than the ES354 (I compared them side-by-side while in the store).

Can anyone tell me what I need to get? Or maybe my tie rods are not original? Mine have threaded ends that are 1" x 16 tpi, but the Moog part looked like about 5/8" or maybe 3/4" threaded end.

You can get the whole tie rod bar with the tie rods in it cheaper than the Moog parts from VPW...hopefully shipping doesnt kill though. VPW contact info is linked at the top of the page. Last I knew, the VPW one is $80 for the bar with both in it.

The part numbers for the auto parts store are:

Moog p/n's: ES235R ES235L (right and left thread). They aren't cheap--$80 range at parts stores.

Thanks for the info!

When I replaced mine, the parts guy said they looked the 'same' as a Ford tractor. I have NOT checked this out, but maybe????????????????????????

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by airborne View Post
    When I replaced mine, the parts guy said they looked the 'same' as a Ford tractor. I have NOT checked this out, but maybe????????????????????????

I have a 1952 8N and they are a lot smaller on both the threaded portion and the round end where the ball and socket is. I recall when I replaced the ones on my tractor, they were the same as a Ford truck of some vintage.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™