Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another pic with another friend

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default Another pic with another friend

Just before we took off to try it out wheeling Friday afternoon:

We even made it back with no damage!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Nice trip I take it?Looks like you were ready for some fun.

I will give you a piece of advice...though you probably wont need it as you probably are in the works of doing it anyway....

Dont run without the front bumper...if you do get stuck, hooking to one front frame rail will cause bending problems you dont want. Dont know if trail riding alone would be a problem...

Gimpy flat towed his to the 2006 National FE with a towbar but no front bumper...the frame ends tweaked pretty good...well, pretty bad as the case may be.

I am envious though...mines buried in snow and needs WORK to drive...enjoy yours for me!!

Yeah, I am not getting into too much serious stuff until I am finished. I already tweaked a rear light, and then replaced them with some more "trim" ones, before I actually damaged them. The originals are in a box safely on a shelf! A bumper is awaiting me from Grantshire, just as soon as I get over to his place to pick it up and pay him for it. This was a winch truck originally, but it and the engine and trans, was long gone when I got it.

Other than that, it is a really capable truck,and I am totally in love with it. With the top down I could see all four corners as I wheeled, and feel much more connected with the trail.

You need to get that windshield down and the door glass out for the best line of sight.

I see the dog claimed your truck as his territory.

I also noticed the territorial markings. Not sure if that was Randy or his dog though.

Anybody else ever notice that the first thing you want to do when you get in the woods is take a leak. Something primeval about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    I also noticed the territorial markings. Not sure if that was Randy or his dog though.
    Yeah, I have this possesive thing going on........After all that work ya know.....

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Anybody else ever notice that the first thing you want to do when you get in the woods is take a leak. Something primeval about that.
    I even take the liberty out back at the office in town. My own little way of conserving water for future generations...or for you guys in AZ and Southern CA.

Looking good. One you fold that windshield and pull the door glass, you won't want to put them back on again. It is addictive.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Rear rant.

The front bumper notice, sparks in me a comment on how sorry the rear of these trucks are layed-out, ( they do work fine in Convoys). Ever notice how many bunged-up tailgates that could have been spared by a bumper? Those WV woods in the background, looks like the woods here, "Thick". Chasing down Brush Fires and scouting turkeys has found me in many spots that you can't turn-around in, so put it in reverse and back-up, over saplings, brush and boulders (to the sound of busting tail-lights and crunching fenders). The short truck I am slowly building, has a solid bumper. For back-up lights on our stock truck, we mounted a driving light on each shackle loop bracket (under the rear bumperette). They turn on and off with a switch mounted on the dash. I don't guess there ever was any kind of "stock reverse lights" was there?

I agree that the bumperettes weren't really for much other than ornaments.

I generally find myself with a spotter wheeling, so most times I am OK there, but lights are a must. My last wheeler had a set of 55W Halogen lights wired into the backup light circuit with a separate relay. They would light it up like daylight out back.

Stock there were no reverse lights, and most likely even the Gladiators had no reverse lights until later on. My '70 Chevy stepside had optional backup lights.