Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed my mind again!

Talking Changed my mind again!

Ok, guy's and gal's, how many times can you change your mind building a project? This has to be about the 7th time on major items, I got the 500 cad mounted in with custom front mounts, t-18/t-98 hy-bred trans, long civ jeep bellhousing (same set up as fishermans), then had the trans apart to put in the IH t-98 output shaft to accomidate that cool old WARN planitary OD. I rebuilt a IH 202 transfer case w/ the 200 emer. brake, did a spring over I really did'nt want to do but had to because of oil pan clearance problems... WAH.....WAH.....WAH!!!! I removed the IH tailshaft out of the trans put it back to the stock tail, did'nt use the 202, installed a 205 w/gear vendors OD, because of short an high angle had to have CBV driveline made (of corse w/ bigger u-joints, so now I cant use the 1310 yolk on the stock diff I wish I changed out to CUCCV ones, cost of new gears power lok front and rear, cost of disc. conversion... BLAH.....BLAH....BLAH!!!!! And that is'nt all I'm just sick of typing and you're proably sick of it too. Now I just purchased a Turbo Isuzu diesel that is now going in, and the Caddy's coming out. One thing is I got some cool garage candy! It might just be an excuse to build another one out of a doggy one. Oh yah, I forgot about the Deutz diesel I got, thinking maybe I'd use it.. Is this why we love it so? Go green!!!

It's a sickness. And boy, you really have it bad, don't you?!
    -- Tim Taylor

Belive me, I understand. I just gave away my rebuilt 6.2 so I can install my -$450 4BT. I mixed up a cool shade of olive drab, then decided to go with a desert sand color....then, on my way to Army Jeep Parts for the paint, I decided to stick with OD.

I'll be spraying the cab and front clip today. The chassis should be back from the media blaster today or tomorrow. That will get sprayed immediately. Time to put this truck together!

Same story here. I have at least 5 engines and 3 trannies for two trucks. Not counting what's in them now. To further complicate the issue, I have to keep my second truck at my buddies shop 'cause my wife would kill me if she knew I bought another one. LOL -sickness indeed.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just about finished with my 715 (yeah right!) and already plotting all the next mods, I want to do....Plus I keep eyeing a deuce as well, like I need it so badly. Heck, I've even convinced myself that I need it.....

Sickness indeed!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default caddy

If you where not so far away that caddy would look good in my M715

Truth be known-I took a page from "How to restore your muscle car" and the old ( with stacey) Trucks show.

When I get a new project I sit down and make a game plan-put the whole thing in a binder. Start with looking the vehicle over-what does it need/what do I want to put in it. What drivetrain am I gonna want-what will I need to do it and how will that affect what else I'll need (new springs for the smallblock, new wiring harness for motor), what body stuff do I need, am I going to end up rewiring etc. Also take stock of how much all these items are going to cost ya--buy what you need first to get it driving and what can wait until later. Does you little good to have new seat covers if you have no radiator.

Have a section for drivetrain, body etc-however its easier for you.

Have a section of reciepts/parts purchased-and sold from the project. This also helps when you have to get stuff in the future-you know what ujoints you used, belts, hoses etc etc-cause if your fabbing stuff we all know how hard it is to find this stuff in the first place.

A little planning and you are miles ahead. You have goals of what you want to buy and how your going to make it happen. DO not let this fall into the hands of the wife-as you will be amazed at how much you have "invested" in your project.

I don't really like the way my one road truck is set-up, but I have a hard time spending any money on it. To date, other than general maintenance items, I've got about $700 worth of skinny tires that weren't necessary.

I just keep putting gasoline in it and driving it as is. I'm not very proud of how the truck looks, but it makes for a good heavy chore truck. My money is generally applied to more practical purchases, but I am considering a paint job on the road truck this summer. It's just hard for me to spend when I know there is little chance of a return on the investment.

For example, if the paint is so poor that the metal is bare and will rust unless new paint is applied, or something else of that nature that would affect the general long term resale value of the vehicle, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money, as it would prove to be a prudent investment.

Someday, I'll probably be frivolous and get some new wheels, seats, power steering, mechanical fan, and a custom fastback full top which I've always desired.

Good! so I'm not crazy..............?

No, your not crazy. I have gone through the same thing. I collected a 7.3 diesel and all the trimmings to make a complete drive train. This took me about two and a half years. I no sooner get all the parts, and the plan changes. I have had this truck on complete Dana 60 axles, 5:13 gears front and rear with Det. locker in the rear. all rebuilt looking very nice. It was spring over with new 4" lift springs. Then it went to spring under with the new 4" springs. Then down again to stock height J-20 springs, slung under in the front, and over in the rear. I like the height now. All this lowering was done because I had back surgery. It looks like a stock truck. What I like the best is the 4:56 gears with Eaton electric lockers front and rear. I can get into it now and its almost ready for the road. I have made so many changes. If I had stuck to my original plan it would have been done this time last year.
    It is truly surprising how a plan will change as you get into it. I will say that a written planed attack would be better as stated above.
    And I can't agree more about keeping the receipts out of site. LOL. No one needs to give ammunition to the other side. One never knows when a cold war could start, or an all out war. I learned this from our government, LOL, make sure all money is spent, no matter what kind of investment it may be, M-715, IRA, CD's, short term investments, Blah Blah. LOL.