Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember the Chevy 292's?

Default Remember the Chevy 292's?

Has anybody ever put a Chevy inline 292 in their truck. I need to get a motor in one of mine. I remember some old Chevys trucks with that motor , that could really pull. I have an adapter allready, and have heard about a old,short school bus with 292 I might could get. I like the dist. in front. I wonder how much difference in gas mileage between the inline and a 350?

I have a 292 in mine. I have never checked the gas mileage, because I don't usually go very far with it, . .just keep feeding the beast . .....lol

The issues I have with it: I am using an electric fan because the water pump sits to low to line up the fan good with the radiator. I am using the stock radiator with no issues. The right side motor mount lines up with the fuel pump, so you either have to use an electric pump (what I have) or move the right side motor mount. I don't have any bracket work to put power steering on, so I have stayed with manual steering. The engine has plenty of power, of course still road speed is limited by the gearing. I am planning on a drivetrain swap later this year with a cummins (dodge) diesel, . .so I have left things alone for the most part. I did not do the swap, it was done when I bought the truck, . .but is looks normal in there, . ..no clearance issues. The electronic ignition is kind of nice too. . .

Rollie, one of our original members, had a 292 in one of his trucks...said it fit well and ran good...maybe he will post some info for you.

Here is some info from the old crashed postnuke zone.

For viewing only -- the links won't work.

http://landru.myhome.net/sivart/292install1.htm

http://landru.myhome.net/sivart/292install2.htm

Hmm, fan lining-up, and fuel-pump clearance are things I would'nt have thought about, thanks. I have a 250 out back, I will look at it with those issues in mind. A friend told me they were the same basic engine ( 292 having a taller deck). Not being an overly talented mechanic, it is comforting having this forum. I sure could have used it when I put a 350 in my first one, going to 12v somewhat confused me. Anymore thoughts about a 292 would be helpful, thanks.

I am running the 292 in my truck and love it! Lots of torq and plenty of power. I get about 12-15 mpg with a Holley 2300 two bbl carb and the Offy intake. I chose not to go with the 4 bbl because with the gearing I would never use the other two bbls. The 250 and the 292 are different monkeys but a lot of parts will swap between the two. The 292 is taller than the 250 and the passenger side engine mounts are in different locations. The 292 it sits about 4 inches forward and on the 250 they are equal on both sides. I made a mount to over come that problem. I also was able to run the 24 volt gen to keep the truck 24 volts which was nice. However the ignition system is still 12 volt so I run a converter just for that. The water pump is a little lower on the rad but I have no cooling problems except at real low speeds like parades. If you want to find out more on the 292 or the 250 check out this site lots of great info: www.inliners.org I will also get some pictures and post them a little later.
    Last edited by porkchop; March 8th, 2008 at 09:57 AM.

Here are some pictures. If you would like any specific views let me know.

Default Good stuff.

Thanks guys. The links are great. For some reason, I really like the idea of using one. I remember seeing my Granpa and his buddy overhaul one still in the truck seems like in a day or two, (250 or 292 I dont know). Seems like a good motor for these trucks, powerful-reliable and easy to work on. What would be the easier or better move, relocating a frame horn or making the forward bracket plate.

Default Exhaust question.

Porkchop, how did you run the exhaust, thru what to where? Like those pictures!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The 292 is a great motor with lots of torque. They are a much longer stroke than the 250. If you look at the side, the lifter cover pan is considerably taller than the 250, so that is a good way to tell them apart. Nice and simple to work on too. You can get a later model and have HEI ignition. They made them up to 84 or so. Power steering brackets should be available. My 82 pickup had powersteering.

I had one in an 82 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with a 4 speed granny-gear trans (forgot which model) and it was unstoppable as far as pulling. Again, loads of torque. If I remember correctly, they also put that engine in some 2.5 ton dump trucks too. They are nearly indestructible unless you just abuse them to death.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™