Thread: Water in tranny

Default Water in tranny

For the second time in the last six months, I have had my tranny fill with water. I have a hardtop with a few holes drilled in it and these allow some water to get in when it rains. I'm thinking the water is dripping onto the shifter and then following the shifter down to the tranny. There's no boot to stop the water from continuing on down. Just a heads up for those of you with a rotten or missing boot and not such a weatherproof top. There's no other way I can think of for water to get in there. Bill

The water does have a path in that way...the boot is there partly to keep the moisture out. If one has a fording valve, when the fording system is pressurized, the boot will inflate...when air can get out, stuff can get in.

Sorry o hear about it...hope there isnt any permanent damage...

I supposed you have tried Memphis and VPW and AB Linn for a replacement? Maybe there is one on a civvy truck that will work...being it is clamped on at both ends, maybe a trip to the junkyard would help?

Gotta be a way...

I had the same thing happen on my CJ at the ranch. It's definitely just running down the shifter and into the tranny that way. We only noticed when we were removing the top cover to fix a shifter problem and after we removed the first bolt a geyser of water shot out of the bolt hole. LOL No damage to the tranny. Just drained it, flushed it with a little diesel and put in fresh oil.

We had a decent boot but it didn't have a clamp on it around the shifter. You can get the shift boot from the usual sources. Just be sure to clamp both ends.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

If the water hasn't been in there too long, most likely there isn't any damage. The worst thing is if it stays there and freezes hard. I've seen trans cases cracked from that. Old Ford tractors come to mind there.

The only other way water could get in would be the vent if it weren't connected, and you were driving through deep water. I bet it is the shifter too.