Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m715 Driveability?

Default m715 Driveability?

Hi everyone, I am new to this sight but not new to Jeeps or offroading. There is a lot of great info on this sight. I am purchasing a M-715 that I have found locally and have couple of quick questions regarding the drivability of it on the street. It is my understanding that the NP200 transfer case is the main reason for the lack of drivability is this correct? I also realize that the low gears in the axles play into that as well but would a simple transfer case swap (np 205 divorced) and some new axles (since the stock one aren't worth putting money into) with higher gears (i.e.4:56 or 4:10). Would this make it a good driver with stock motor and trans? I am asking this because the motor runs really well and I don't see a need to change it at this time. I realize it wouldn't set any land speed records but I was hoping for 60-65 MPH for long extended trips of 6-10 hours of driving.
    I hope that wasn't too long winded but I realize there is a lot of knowledge on this sight and I am hoping you dont mind if I pick of few of your brains for some useful info.

Thanks, Tim

A stock truck in good shape will run 60 pretty easy. You might swap in a pair of 4.56 gear sets for long range driving, but remember this is a military vehicle. By the time you mod everything to make it comfy, it's really not the same truck. And not all NP 200 are plagued by heat and noise issues.

My free advice, try it in the stock configuration first, then modify as required.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim338 View Post
    Would this make it a good driver with stock motor and trans?
    The 230 motor and T98 transmission are very good components. The minor issue with the motor is that it can be a bit expensive to maintain, as some parts are difficult to acquire.

The other items you mentioned, such as axle gearing and the transfer case model, are what make these trucks better suited for low speed operations such as for farm use or off-road recreation. If you are planning to swap these components, there isn't much else to limit your M715 from driving similar to an old pickup truck.

My personal opinion suggests that these trucks are not daily-driver friendly without a big expense in modifications. From seats, lights, security, manual steering and two-piece wheels, among the other items mentioned above, it would be a lot easier to take the body and place it on a more modern chassis if such were possible. That is, if I assume your desire to own an M715 is simply due to the aesthetic value of the truck. As opposed to another's desire in a heavy duty truck with an open air cab that can be used for utility type purposes, thus requiring no modifications.

It's sort of like owning a tractor that one can also drive to church on Sunday.

I want the truck not as a daily driver but as a recreational vehicle that I can drive around town but when I want to go wheeling get in it and go. At this time I do not have a tow rig and would most likely drive it to and from weekend wheeling trips. Most of the places I like to wheel are 100 to 450 miles away (one-way). While I do love the aesthetics of these trucks I don't want to get to far from the trucks heritage. I only want change the things that in my opinion would make it more suited for I need in a recreational vehicle.
    Thanks for the advise guys, Tim

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Lose the NP 200 and go with the 205, then add a set of gears to the stock axles and you should be fine for trips to and from the trail and wheeling. I think that only 4.88's are all that are available anymore though for the stock 60/70 axles.

Swapping axles isn't a bad thing either, as it gives you a ton more wheel, gear and locker options.

As mentioned above, keep the truck in the context of and old military truck. Even with these mods, it still will be a bit, shall we say...."unrefined"

First and foremost though, build it your way and have fun! These are really cool trucks.

These trucks are amazing on dirt, trails, hills, basically anything below 45 mph. Empty or loaded with 2500 pounds of stuff in the back. Anything you do to it will lessen that ability.

I have a Big Block 396 in mine, a NV4500, front lockout hubs, a rear locker, radio, cruise control and XZL tires. I have driven 300 miles to and from events before in it and have even trailered another M715 behind mine for such distances.

The only thing all my mods do is give me about 5-10 more mph on the road, a really cool sounding exhaust and less water crossing capability. Mine was a daily driver all stock and a daily driver like it is. I never get to use all that power unless I am pulling a trailer.

For just driving around and trails, think real hard before you start changing stuff. It all comes down to this. "Do you like to go places, or go for drives?"

This vehicle is for taking drives.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

a rear locker and front lock out hubs will help and if you dont mind driving slower than traffic the stock configuration works good offroad. they will actually try to climb steeper hills than the carb will allow. In Iowa I rode in a stock truck down the road with michlins and this truck drove like a dream. my boggers on the other hand dont do good on the road but offroad they excel especially in the mud

great line, 'It's sort of like owning a tractor that one can also drive to church on Sunday'
    Thats kinda how I feel about mine.
    I have had mine for only about a year, so not as experienced as some of the others, but I could not imagine driving at over 50 MPH for any extended period of time.
    Mine is stock.

I have a M725, ambulance version of the M715. I replaced the motor, which was bad, with a SBC 350, power steering, duel brake master with booster, and 11.00 / 16 XML’s. It would be a daily driver except for the 6.5 mpg’s. It will go anywhere except through the trees. I have put somewhere between 7,000 to 8,000 miles on it. Love it but gas is a killer. With the stock motor don’t expect to go much over 50 mph for long with out something in the motor coming apart. I must have a good T-case as I don’t seam to have heat issue or noise that some have but I did swap the drive shaft to the center.
    Thinking of the 3053A to have overdrive, 205 to have speed with out heat issues, and CUCV’s to have higher gears to help on mileage.
    Now I have found a M715 project truck, it all starts over, and over, and over.
    It is a green iron sickness……………………………I want more trucks……..

Quote Originally Posted by sermis View Post
    I have a M725, ambulance version of the M715. I replaced the motor, which was bad, with a SBC 350, power steering, duel brake master with booster, and 11.00 / 16 XML’s. It would be a daily driver except for the 6.5 mpg’s. It will go anywhere except through the trees. I have put somewhere between 7,000 to 8,000 miles on it. Love it but gas is a killer. With the stock motor don’t expect to go much over 50 mph for long with out something in the motor coming apart. I must have a good T-case as I don’t seam to have heat issue or noise that some have but I did swap the drive shaft to the center.
    Thinking of the 3053A to have overdrive, 205 to have speed with out heat issues, and CUCV’s to have higher gears to help on mileage.
    Now I have found a M715 project truck, it all starts over, and over, and over.
    It is a green iron sickness……………………………I want more trucks……..
    my 725 has a 350 in it with a 750 holley and the rest of the drive train is stock with 38.5 boggers and I only get about 4 average to possibly 10 with slow and easy driving, manual steering still as I havent put the gearbox in yet but with the bedliner all over it it loves the trees as long as my driving skills are cinstant and shark. Its like taking a semi on the trails as you have to plan constantly for each tree and bend ib the road alot more plus the over head clearances. Ive either hurt the cam in the engine while wheeling a steep in Texas or with the msd, burnt some plugs up leaning out so Ive got to fix that now. Im not afraid to hammer down on it hard either as you have to climb hills harder with more throttle and speed unless you want to end up stopping half way up and doing a wheelie.