Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: disc kits

Default disc kits

I've been trying compare disc brake conversion kits for stock axles and from pics and descriptions of the setup I am leaning toward the Pro Tool kit. I have tried to contact them but can't get anything but the answering machine. I have left messages and my number but no response, anyone talked with them or feedback on their product?

Thanks for any help.

There is another place that makes the conversion kits. It is in Alabama. The link didn't when I tried it last week. Let me find a good link and then I will post it up. Actually, I will try to contact the guy who runs it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Here we go:

http://www.offroadfabworks.com/

Call up and ask for Darrell. I have no idea on price, just that he has some ready to ship.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I went to the site but couldn't find any pics of his work, have you seen them?

Rich Brandi called me today and is supposed to get back to me on the price but I will call this guy too cause cost matters but getting my truck back on the road quick is just as important.

Thanks Barrman.

I would give some consideration to going with a more modern pair of 1-ton axles. Disk brakes, open knuckles, higher gearing, easier to find parts, wider rim selection... all for less money

After my building up of my stock axles I wish I would have gone with the modern open knuckle also, even a dana 44.

I swapped in CUCV axles and all the mods but it never was quite right and I just got tired of trying to get it even satisfactory. So it is back to stock axles but I would like to go with disc instead of the drums. If the price is just too much or I can't get them soon enough I'll just keep the drums. If I do stick with the drums I would prefer to make them self adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by green goat View Post
    I swapped in CUCV axles and all the mods but it never was quite right and I just got tired of trying to get it even satisfactory. So it is back to stock axles but I would like to go with disc instead of the drums. If the price is just too much or I can't get them soon enough I'll just keep the drums. If I do stick with the drums I would prefer to make them self adjusting.
    What kind of problems were you having? Long term I thought of going that CUCV route, from all of the other reading I had done people say it's "relatively" cheap and easy.

If you stay with SOA on the CUCV's it is very easy to get them under there, but I had problems with a shimmy and the steering took a little extra effort to get it out of the locked position. I couldn't figure it out so I took it to several front end shops and some 4wheel fab shops and they all said it looked great and that there wasn't any worn out parts. I just spent so much money and patience with it that I swapped them out for stock. The DIY4x rear disc kit worked great by the way if you want rear disc.

Quote Originally Posted by green goat View Post
    If you stay with SOA on the CUCV's it is very easy to get them under there, but I had problems with a shimmy and the steering took a little extra effort to get it out of the locked position. I couldn't figure it out so I took it to several front end shops and some 4wheel fab shops and they all said it looked great and that there wasn't any worn out parts. I just spent so much money and patience with it that I swapped them out for stock. The DIY4x rear disc kit worked great by the way if you want rear disc.

What was your caster?

What do you mean "out of the locked position"?