Thread: M715 History question

Default M715 History question

I hope this doesnt make me sound too ignorant but I'm new to this. I am working a deal on an M715 and am courious about something.
    Were all M715's origionally government owned military trucks? None built for civillian use?

While I am not expert, I would have to say that all of them were built for the military. I have never seen any sort of civilian version. They have been available on the civilian market for a long time and many trucks were out into service as fire trucks and Civil Defense trucks over the years after they left military service.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

They were all built for the Us Government under contract. In fact, for the 1967 model year a law had been passed that made it madatory that dual circuit master cylinders had to be installed in all passenger vehicles...the G890 series, M715/M724/M725/M726 did not come with the dual circuit masters though 1967 was the first year of production. Lack of seat belts and padded dashes are other things that are different than passenger cars of the era.

Certain of the features of the G890 series are outside the passenger ehcle realm as well...waterproof electrical system in 24 volts...troop seats...military lighting system...available fording kit...etc.
    Last edited by brute4c; January 16th, 2008 at 08:56 AM.

Similar Threads

1. vehicle history
    By joneil in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
  2. Strange Name in IE history
    By amphi in forum Forum for questions and comments on the website.
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: April 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
  3. Is there a way to trace mil history
    By viperman in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM
  4. M715 history expert questions...thanks
    By ptjeeper in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM
  5. vechicle history
    By leswarwick99 in forum Open Discussion