Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver's seat adjustment

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default Driver's seat adjustment

Anyone with the stock seats have the same problem I do?

The driver's seat even in it's farthest back position is still way too far forward. I am 6'0", so not too tall or anything. The frame, floor mounts and all mount points are stock. I know the seats aren't built for comfort, but they certainly must have been built for 5'5" folks......

I am planning on moving the top frame back on the base about an inch. Anyone else done the same?

Way too small for me at 6'6...I went with other seats mounted farther back.

I noticed the same thing, I am 6'1, but pretty thin and I was surprised at the how tight it is behind the wheel on my M725, the M715 has non stock seats and a better fit, but I wanted to go back to originals on it someday.
    Lets us know if you mod the originals and how.

I'm 6'3" and moved my seat back 3" with a set of adapter plates I made. I used 4" striaght metal tabs with holes 3" on center that we have here at the race shop. I countersunk 1 hole and used a tapered head bolt in it. I welded the bolt in and gound it flat so that it would sit flat on the floor. Then bolted the plates to the floor in the stock locations, but left them a little loose so I could adjust them to the seat frame. Lined up the seat frame and bolted it down and then tightend the floor bolts. Works great and moved the seat back so that the seatback almoust touches the back of the cab. Plus it was easy to do and only took about 15 minutes to make, and can be switched back to stock in minutes if someone ever wanted to.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    1968 M51 Inflatable Chemical Shelter System http://www.davidallenracing.com/M51.htm
    1953 Dodge M37 weapons carrier http://www.davidallenracing.com/M37.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

Hands down, easiest fix is to flip up the seat pad, relocate the bolts that the base slides on and cut a new dentent for the adustment catch.

You can gain up to 2" in 15 minutes and eveything appears 100% stock and unmolested.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

While on the seat subject. Anyone feel the need to add seat belts? I've had some people tell me they won't ride with me without belts. Not that I care if they ride or not, just curious if anyone added them.

yes, seatbelts mandatory in my trucks.

I used the seat base mounting holes, put the tab for the seatbelt under the base "foot".

On my 715, which I will wheel, I'll be looking for a stronger option that doesn't use the seat mount point. Only reason for that being that I don't want the seatbelt leaving if the seat does and vice versa.

I did the seat modification that Doug mentioned - pretty easy and gave me at least another inch or two. At 6'4", it all helps.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Well, did the same as mentioned above. I removed the stock welded in 1/4" bolts and then put the bottom frame where I wanted it and mounted with 5/16" bolts.

Wow! What a difference.

I gained about 1-1/4" and moved back until the seat back nearly touched the rifle mount in the corner.

I didn't bother with the adjustment part because I figure I'll be the only one driving anyway.

Thanks for the input!!

Regarding seatbelts, there are threaded reinforced holes near the base of the seats for the use of lapbelts. I assume these are there because of the shared parts with civvy trucks but not for sure. Anyway, take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    Regarding seatbelts, there are threaded reinforced holes near the base of the seats for the use of lapbelts. I assume these are there because of the shared parts with civvy trucks but not for sure. Anyway, take a look.
    My truck does have the threaded holes as well. I was planning on using them for lap belts too.

I'd suppose that belts are mandatory in these trucks. There isn't any exemption that I am aware of, because belts have been offered since the 50's in most makes.

Anyone have any input there?