Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radiator is shot..i think.

Default Radiator is shot..i think.

Started removing all the old hoses and when i got to the lower radiator hose, as soon as i touched the hose to wiggle it off the mouth/inlet it started leaking from the radiator..the metal is basically so thin there now its tearing everytime I move those hose up and down.

Besides the chevelle radiator..what else works?? And just for my own ignorance..why wouldnt a old waggy radiator work? arent these things nearly based the same?

The FSJ had different locations for the hoses than the 230.

You could get one and have a radiator shop swap them out for you. Probably run in the $60-$100 range.

I have the Summit aluminum cross flow radiator in mine. I had to move the passenger side valence support over though to get it to fit.

You also have to consider that any FSJ radiator you find is going to be darn near 20 years old or older. How good is it? I am going through the same problem with my M35. It held water just fine until I went and stuck the winch through it. Took it to the radiator shop and got a call like this "Tim, we fixed the hole you made, but then another one developed when we tested it, we fixed that one and then another one showed up."

Basically, the metal was paper thin. I found a still wrapped in Cosmoline NOS one and am waiting for the guy to read his e-mail so I can send him some money. I would suggest you look for NOS and stored properly M715 radiators or get a new 396 Chevelle one or go the Summit route I did. Total cost will be in the $180-$300 range depending on shipping and what the price of copper is the day you order one. Otherwise, you will just be throwing money at something the same age as the one you already have.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

bummer...well..It doesnt have to go anywhere anytime soon..so i guess ill just save up for the chevelle one. FUn FUN

The Chevelle one will require the lower hose to be moved over if you have a sbc, and requires some trimming of the radiator bracket. I did the trimming first, making it unreturnable only to find out about the hose still too close to the fan and that I couldn't lower the hood entirely without contact. I had to remove the two frame brackets under the radiator to get it low enough to fit properly and then only with a rubber mallet to force it down. Really tight fit. That dented the top of my new radiator making it look like crap. It does work terrifically but I went through all this after buying it thinking it was a basic bolt in. No it ain't.

BTW, you can get one from radiators.com that is for a chevy converted CJ-7 if I remember correctly. I don't know first hand how well it fits but Christian Hazel (Dummy)is running one in his truck.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Yes, a CJ-7 to Chevy Conversion radiator will bolt right in and only requires redrilling the top two mount holes. A 5 minute job.

Mine, a crossflow aluminum, came from e-bay and was $365 shipped to my door. The outlet for the upper hose is on the top left and the lower hose on the bottom right. It fits very well and clears the hood no problem. I am not sure if the 230 hose inlet and outlets will be the same....

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Yes, a CJ-7 to Chevy Conversion radiator will bolt right in and only requires redrilling the top two mount holes. A 5 minute job.
    If thats the case..Ill go that route. Thanks again..anyone recommend where i can get one?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernM715 View Post
    If thats the case..Ill go that route. Thanks again..anyone recommend where i can get one?
    Hit e-bay and do a search for "Jeep V-8 conversion radiator". They will come right up.....

awesome..just found um.. 4 core CJ7 v8 conversion radiator. just have to redrill the top holes for mounting screws correct.?? If so.. clicking buy it now.

Yes, the bottom holes mounted to the stock holes and the top ones are just below the original mounts. Maybe an inch at the most.

If you didn't want to redrill the radiator flange, you could just redrill the holes in the support to line up with the existing radiator mount holes.

Here's a pic you can probably see the mounting: