Thread: voltage drop?

Default voltage drop?

This has happened a couple of times to me lately.
    The voltage gauges drops all the way to the right, which I think if I read the gauge correctly means that the voltage has dropped off to almost nothing. The truck begins to miss worse than it already was.
    Any ideas? Is it a short somewhere?
    Is there a voltage regulator on these trucks or is it part of the generator?
    Last time it happened it eventually came back up, yesterday I shut it down and it still had not come back.

"The voltage gauges drops all the way to the right,"

This is important...is it the right or the left. If it is to the right as your looking at the gauge then your truck is over charging which means it's got too much voltage. If it goes to the left then you have a low voltage issue.

Most of the trucks have a 60 amp altinator with internal voltage regulator, but some radio trucks were set up with a 100 amp generator and external voltage regulator. These trucks usually have a thing hanging infront of the radiator that looks like an sort of electric radiator.

If the truck is dropping to the left you may have a loose connection such as at the battery terminal.

I would start by checking that your batteries are all tighten down. The post are clean and tight and the cables are tight and clean to the post clamps.

It sounds like that might be the problem right there.
    Zone holster maker

It was the right. So now that I take a closer look at the gauge and somewhat understand it, it seems it was over charging. Gauge reading normal again when I started it today.
    Today I just pulled out all the wiring in the truck that the FD had put in, I had switchs and wire all over the place. most of it doing nothing.
    Truck still missing so I am working on that as well.

Intermittent overcharging...sounds like a regulator problem...not sure what else could cause it other than a goofy battery problem.

Might load test the batteries and make sure they are ok...make sure your grounds are good and that all connections are tight...if not there, alternator/regulator problem in my book.