Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My '715 has arrived - I'm not a happy trooper!

Default My '715 has arrived - I'm not a happy trooper!

Bought the truck sight unseen except for pictures and many phone calls to answer questions. I had it trucked to me. Amoung other things that are not as described, the truck has been converted to 12 volt. I was promised it was 24 volt. Yes, it has two batteries but they are connected in parallel and the starter, alternator, and ignition components are all 12 volt as well as the lamps. Except for the alternator, they are civilian parts. Lots of "jury" rigged wiring and switches however looks like all the original wiring is still there, just disconnected. Military light switch disconnected with headlamps on a toggle switch.

Wow! Where do I get a 24 volt starter, starter switch, alternator, lamps, ignition coil, etc.? Plus panel guages and sender units? I'm an electrical engineer so no problems there, just since I am new to this truck, don't know where to get parts yet. At least I have the TM wiring diagrams (poor) and a very nice CAD drawing of the wiring.

As someone said, "Pity the bank account of M-715 Owners!"

Ron

ck the 'links' on here at the page header to find some surplus dealers watch e-bay search m715 (dont hypenate it) there has been a starter on there just recently may still be on. the starter switch is located on the floor by the trans pan, unless you mean the ignition switch it on the dash and its a military standard part all mil veh's used the same one.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Welcome aboard Ron. You might find that the starter is still a 24 volt unit. One of the trucks I purchased for parts was done like that, it just turned over slowly on 12 volts, once I got 24 to it it rolled over like my other truck. Your bulbs will be different for 12 volts as you know. You may also find in the for sale section here that someone is doing an engine swap and they are selling the complete engine, trans, w/ dist. and alt. If you are keeping it stock, most of the stuff you need will most likely be the cheapest on the Zone here, (If your not in a hurry). If your in a bit more of a rush, post in the wanted section, or watch E-Bay. Post some pics if you can.
    Good Luck
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Bought the truck sight unseen except for pictures and many phone calls to answer questions. I had it trucked to me. Amoung other things that are not as described, the truck has been converted to 12 volt. I was promised it was 24 volt. Yes, it has two batteries but they are connected in parallel and the starter, alternator, and ignition components are all 12 volt as well as the lamps. Except for the alternator, they are civilian parts. Lots of "jury" rigged wiring and switches however looks like all the original wiring is still there, just disconnected. Military light switch disconnected with headlamps on a toggle switch.

Wow! Where do I get a 24 volt starter, starter switch, alternator, lamps, ignition coil, etc.? Plus panel guages and sender units? I'm an electrical engineer so no problems there, just since I am new to this truck, don't know where to get parts yet. At least I have the TM wiring diagrams (poor) and a very nice CAD drawing of the wiring.

As someone said, "Pity the bank account of M-715 Owners!"

Ron
    I made the same mistake. I bought mine off this site in 2005 and when the truck arrived, I had to push it out of the transporters trailer.

The truck was half of what I was told. I was told it ran great and had no rust and the brakes were recently looked at by a mechanic and was told they looked new. He also told me that it wasn't a leaker either.

1. The truck had rust
    2. It didn't run
    3. It had a blown head gasket and antifreeze in the oil
    4. The brake wheel cylinders were all stuck and the brakes barely worked and the pads, hardware etc were completely shot.
    5. Gas tank full of rust and lines were shot
    6. All the transfer case seals leaked badly as well as the transmission pto gasket

I am sure I forgot a few things...its been two years

All I can say is that the guy who sold it to me was lucky he lived in Michigan otherwise I would have greeted him with some chin music. Who would figure a 65 year old "gentleman" would have lied like a rug...he sounded and presented himself as a car/truck enthusiast who was honest etc.

I learned a valuable lesson - NEVER EVER buy anything sight unseen - luckily it was only a $3,200 mistake. Imagine buying something really expensive like $40,000 and getting a lemon! Lesson learned...don't trust anyone and if you have to, fly out or drive out and see it in person! Had I saw the truck in person, I would have offered him $1,500!
    Last edited by Fastfrankie; October 24th, 2007 at 06:23 PM.

More off topic stuff...

I bought my truck out of the forsale section on this site also, going only by a dozen pictures and his word. I decided that if the seller exagerated a little it would still be well worth his price, so I jumped on it. It was a 3800 mile round trip and the truck turned out to be in better shape than he described. He had a bunch of extras he rounded up that he didn't think to tell me about also, spare tire/wheel, all canvas, new data plates and stickers, extra drivetrain stuff....

There are still honest guys out there.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfrankie View Post
    I made the same mistake. I bought mine off this site in 2005 and when the truck arrived, I had to push it out of the transporters trailer.

The truck was half of what I was told. I was told it ran great and had no rust and the brakes were recently looked at by a mechanic and was told they looked new. He also told me that it wasn't a leaker either.

1. The truck had rust
    2. It didn't run
    3. It had a blown head gasket and antifreeze in the oil
    4. The brake wheel cylinders were all stuck and the brakes barely worked and the pads, hardware etc were completely shot.
    5. Gas tank full of rust and lines were shot
    6. All the transfer case seals leaked badly as well as the transmission pto gasket

I am sure I forgot a few things...its been two years

All I can say is that the guy who sold it to me was lucky he lived in Michigan otherwise I would have greeted him with some chin music. Who would figure a 65 year old "gentleman" would have lied like a rug...he sounded and presented himself as a car/truck enthusiast who was honest etc.

I learned a valuable lesson - NEVER EVER buy anything sight unseen - luckily it was only a $3,200 mistake. Imagine buying something really expensive like $40,000 and getting a lemon! Lesson learned...don't trust anyone and if you have to, fly out or drive out and see it in person! Had I saw the truck in person, I would have offered him $1,500!

Ouch! Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Dealing in this realm (old vehicles) I have learned a few things:

1) Never believe what a seller tells you without seeing it.

2) Never assume any 40 year old vehicle won't need something (most likely an overhaul.....)

3) Don't get excited and buy without doing your research. I've seen plenty of pigs-in-a-poke.

4) Don't rely on the memory of a seller. I have personally thought: "it was just running only a few months ago" only to look at the registration or inspection sticker to see its been 3 years since I last ran a vehicle!

5) Don't go strictly on cosmetics. I have seen this mistake toooo many times. If it looks pretty, that don't mean its mechanically sound.

6) "My mechanic said....." I never even listen when that one comes out. Get your mechanic to check it out before buying.

Be careful buying and good luck out there! I'm done hijacking this thread......

i,ve got any and all parts you need and how to switch it over if needed.
    bob

Whats wrong with a 12 volt conversion? Just asking. Mine was converted by the fire department that owned it,but they did a very professional job. The 12 volt setup makes life much easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWarTapes View Post
    Whats wrong with a 12 volt conversion? Just asking. Mine was converted by the fire department that owned it,but they did a very professional job. The 12 volt setup makes life much easier for me.
    Umm nothing. This thread was posted in stock tech and he wants it original. I have to ask. How does the 12 volt conversion make it easier? I hear the same stuff from guys that convert 8 and 9n ford tractors from 6 to 12!

FastFrankie, since you bought it from here (and I'm from MI) do you mind if I ask who it was that sold it to you? Screen name that is.