Thread: It's tucked, my spare that is.

Default It's tucked, my spare that is.

Finally finished the mounting. After removing the round rear crossmember and replacing it with some 2" x 3" square tube, gusseted to make room for an xl 11 x 16.

I used a one ton chevy spare tire cable hoist to lift the tire/wheel up under the bed. The factory spare tire stops were shortened to allow the spare to tuck up completely to the bottom of the bed.
    With the receiver hitch there the tire is completely protected and will not touch the ground if the rear end drags in climbing a hill, the receiver will touch first. There is plenty of room for the rear axle to cycle upwards and not interfere. I re used the spare tire sling that was factory and relocated the mounting point and bolt point. Everything looks pretty much factory, but functions much better.

The last picture shows the small hole in the center of the back of the bed. There is a half inch socket adapter to use a wratched to lower/raise the spare tire. Undo factory sling, and wratchet the spare down. Reverse order to raise it. I've done it in the shop now about 6 times. This is my favorite Modification thus far. A lot of planning and head scratching and measuring went into this, and it does work. Now back to finish painting.
    Last edited by fisherman; October 7th, 2007 at 12:27 AM.

Still looking good, in fact I think it keeps looking better. That is a nice job there, the XL fits very well.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

That looks fantastic! It looks like you used an FSJ receiver hitch, yes? I only mention that because that's what's on my truck. But your receiver is painted nicely!

A-1 job...very nicely planned and executed!

Yes I used a receiver hitch off of a J truck I bought it used and cleaned it up a little. This is one modification I would recommend to anyone who is doing a body off restoration or rebuild. And needs room for a larger spare tire. I think a 39 inch tire will fit maybe a 40 but I think it would be tight.

Wow, wish I'd thought of that. How soon before you get it all done? Thats one clean fab, looks better than factory.

After all that work, you are certain to never have a flat-ever! It does look nice.

I have a few things left to paint, the doors, dash, seat frames, roll bar. Once that stuff is painted and installed I will put on the front fenders and front grill. Then ready to start wiring. Somewhere in there I'll need exhaust. Not sure how long but definately getting close. Anyone up for a wiring session??

Ya' know, I wired mine with only the drivers side inner fender and front facia installed. It gave me Tons of room to move around the firewall and other spots that would have been too tight for me to access. Just an idea....

I'll probably wire with the two front inner fender wells and the front grill support installed. Then when I'm close to finished I will install the front two fenders, hood, etc.