Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing the rims...

Default Changing the rims...

Hey Guys,
    As my other post shows, I am looking for tires. While on this quest I have begun to consider swapping out the stock split rims for a set of similar looking steel wheels.
    Two main reasons are:
    1. For the ease of any shop being able to change tires on them,
    2. No more buying tubes and flaps.

I want my truck to look authentic but functionality is as important. Anyone have thoughts/opinions/ideas on that. I am all ears, and don't worry, I have REALLY thick skin.

Jeff

Thick skin, eh? Heh, heh... You'll do well here!

One of our members, Bob Cowan, will cut the centers out of your stock wheels and put them on new wheels. Shipping back and forth to Tennessee might be a bit much, but if I remember correctly his pricing ended up about the same as getting custom wheels made.

Stockton Wheel in Stockton, Kalifornia, does custom wheels for big bucks too.

Either way, there's no cheap way to get around it. Probably actually cheaper to swap in D60/14-bolt axles, to be honest!
    -- Tim Taylor

Thanks Binford,
    Is there a tech write-up on the swap? Since this is all new to me,
    What all does the swap accomplish?
    Suggestions on parts sources, estimated costs, etc...
    thaks again,
    Jeff

Lets see how thick that skin is.

When you were a kid, did you fix the flats on your bike (After you had blown the tire by jumping off a high object you were told not to/ running into an non movable object or going to fast into a curb) by yourself with a screw driver, rubber cement and a patch?

Have you ever done that on a motorcycle like a lot of us have?

The stock split ring rims are made with the same fix in mind. Carry a spare tube or tube repair kit, bead breaker hammer and a source of air (Fix a flat actually will inflate it enough to get you to town again.) 10 minutes will have a new tube installed and the tire on the ground again. Another 10 minutes and you can have the old tube patched and ready to go if you need it.

I actually like the split ring rim. I have OBA, so an air source is ok for me. I just carry a bead hammer and tube in my tool box instead of a spare. But, I am going to figure out a way to carry a 5th XZL with me for the '08 FE in Colorado since we don't really have any tire ripping rocks around here like they do out there.

I would recommend buying new tubes and flaps just because whatever you have now, are probably older than most of the people that can read this. By the time you install them in the tires, you will have gotten the hang of the split ring assembly. Then, you will either be like me or hate them with a passion.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I agree with Barrman. If you want the truck to look authentic then be authentic and keep the stock rims. Get new NDCC tires and tubes and flaps and your set. As for having them changed any good truck tire shop should be able to do them.
    Zone holster maker

MRW is building my wheels. $89.00 apiece for 16 x 8 inch wheels for our stock bolt pattern. Shipping will be around $125.00 or so for the 5 wheels. You do the math. Also I sent him a stock wheel center to see what else he can make for our trucks using the stock wheel center. I'll keep you posted. I just shipped my test wheel he sent me back and the wheel center a few days ago. I'll keep you posted as things happen and when my wheels show up. He seemed very willing to help me out and built a test wheel for trial purposes. It fit perfectly with perfect backspacing for my front disc brakes and rear drums. Will allow the xl's to come to the outside edge of the fender flares almost but not quite. I think it will be perfect.

Actually, I have changed many a bike tire with a screwdriver in my younger days. As for doing it on a motorcycle, well no, in my 10+ yrs on a street bike I had all my tires changed at a shop (never had a flat though). If I stay with the split rims, I will buy new tubes and flaps for sure.

As always I thank all of you out there who share your knowledge, insight, and opinions, with the less experienced (me).

Thanks,
    Jeff

Not to hijack this thread, but Fisherman did you say he was making rims from scratch for 89.00 or was he using the stock centers for 89.00.

New wheels or rims from scratch. I just sent him a wheel center to see if he could make rims with our centers as well.

New wheels seems to run in the $100-$200 each range, excluding shipping.

Soooo.... that's $400-$800 and you still have big ol' non-self adjusting drum brakes with shoes that'll cost about $100 to reline and drums that are made of unobtainium.

The only reason I have the stock axles is that I wanted to keep my truck looking reasonably stock on the outside, so at a glance, it still looked like an M715. Of course, the Swampers I have on it now kind of ruin that effect.

I was able to get a great deal on those tires AND one piece wheels, and that is why I have them now and I've kept the stock axles. I also bought the front disc brake upgrade, too.

Yes, I spent a lot more $$$ than I would have had I simply swapped in a D60 front and rear from another truck. But the axle swap didn't fall into my lap, the one piece wheels and tires did. So that's the route I took.

That said, I don't get many people pointing at my wheels and saying, "Hey, those aren't original, are they??!!"