Thread: Needed...Tire source in Northern Calif.

Default Needed...Tire source in Northern Calif.

Hey guys,
    I just bought a 68 and it is in need of tires, I like the NDT look but I am open to other suggestions. It is all stock, and I don't have any plans for major changes soon. I hope to find a local (Sacramento area) solution. If I missed any pertinent info. I'm sorry, just let me know what I need to share.
    Thanks for your time.
    Jeff

Welcome aboard, Jeff! I pass through your neck of the woods several times a year, on my way to Turlock. Where abouts are you?

I'd recommend taking a look at 11.00x16 Michelin XL or XZL tires, if you'd like something a bit larger that really look good on a '715. They're 38-1/2 inches tall vs. 34 for the stock 9.00x16 NTDs, plus they're radials.
    -- Tim Taylor

and increase road speed at same rpm,s.fit , on stock rims too

Binford,
    I live in Sacramento County, in the City of Citrus Heights, it's on Highway 80 just as you leave Sacramento County and cross into Placer county (Roseville).
    My Jeep is on it's way up from Arizona Via Car carrier, it should arrive on Thurday or Friday. I can't wait!!
    Thanks for the info, I will start looking those up that you suggested.
    Jeff

I run a Super Swamper radial 36-12.5x16 and it looks real good on the truck. The radial only has a tread width of 9" so it fits well on the stock rims, and looks good enough that most people don't know that they are not the proper military tire for it. Plus they ride a whole lot better than the old NDTs.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    1968 M51 Inflatable Chemical Shelter System http://www.davidallenracing.com/M51.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

Thanks Beast,
    I will put those on the list of possibilities.
    Jeff

There is nothing wrong IMHO with the NDCC (NDT) tires as long as you know what you have. You have basically bald tires on pavement, but you have a fairly good tread off road. You just have to be a little more careful in wet weather when driving with NDCC, plus it looks right for the vehicle espically if you are keeping it 100% stock.

That being said, if I were to modify an MV or modernize it I would go with the Michelins since that is the modern tire for the US Military. Or I just read that the HMMWV wranglers are now available to the public so that might be an option too if they sell them in 16" size.
    Zone holster maker

Hi neighbor, . .well, almost. . LOL
    I live up the hill from you in Georgetown, we should get together sometime. I have a 67, basically stock except for a 292 chevy. I am running swamper TSL's. They are okay, but not my ideal choice, ..I got a good deal at the time. Personally, I would prefer the michelins. As far as a local NDT source, I am guessing the nearest would probably be Surplus City up in Oroville. I am presuming you now have the toy home? ??

Hey Moose,
    I do have my rig at home now! Started to tinker already. I ended up deciding to keep the full military look and bought NDT's from Les Schwab. Ran me $178 + $30 per tube and $20 per flap, only $16 to have four delivered and mounted. I am thinking about having the rims powder coated flat black too. If I do that I get the pleasure of unmounting the old tires.... And yes once I get the old girl road worthy we will have to meet for lunch.
    Jeff