Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Can Straps Suck

Default Jerry Can Straps Suck

Okay, I got the jerry can holder secured to the bed, placed the strap through all the right holes and loops, put the can in and regardless of how tight I get the strap it won't "Snap-Over" to secure the can?????
    Any Ideas?

How about a pic? I can't imagine what you are doing wrong.

Snap over? I don't follow that. The strap is to short is that what your saying?
    Zone holster maker

Yeah. Should just be an aligator clip. You must have a different kind of strap.
    -- Tim Taylor

Well, the two ends of the buckle assy attach with each other by means of a hook shaped piece and on the other a bar.
    Once you've connected the two, a bow allowing a fulcrum action is then "thrown over" to tension the strap. However the tension isn't sufficient enough to keep the can tight in the carrier. Here's a couple of pics:

Hope that helps explain things a little better. And yes my wife was kind enough to serve as the hand model (in her robe no less, the reflection was too telling otherwise) for these pics.

Pink isn't your color, dude...

(Oh, didn't read that last line. I feel better now. Whew!)

That's not the same kind of strap I've got. No tensioning on mine other than what I pull out of it by hand.

The loose end of the strap wraps over the alligator clip, effectively hiding it in this pic. Best one I've got of it though.
    Last edited by Binford; August 14th, 2007 at 12:03 AM.
    -- Tim Taylor

Even better! Here's a shot of Al's (Kaiserjeeps). Same alligator clip setup; slightly different length/routing:

-- Tim Taylor

Okay, looks like time for a new strap! Thanks Tim for the posts and pics.

Bindfords is a stock strap. That's why when you said snap I was really confused.
    Zone holster maker

I used the same type on mine. They are the newwer style, and work very good when you install them correctly. Your problem is that you are backwards. Flip the straps over and open the buckle 180. Tighten the strap so that you can just clip it, then fold the buckle over and it will tighten the strap. If you can't figure it out, I try and run home and take some pics to show you the proper direction.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    1968 M51 Inflatable Chemical Shelter System http://www.davidallenracing.com/M51.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/