Thread: plug wires

Default plug wires

Hello fellas,

Can anyone tell me why our stock plug wires are so expensive? $150.00
    bucks, wow, I found the parts to asemble my own but they are even more costly.. Just curious, thanks guys

Because they are:

Unusual
    Limited production
    Fit only the mil 230 engine
    It's mil vehicle stuff
    They aren't making them anymore

Probably a couple more....

What he said.

But, other MV's use the same wires, kind of. M-37 trucks have the same type of wire, but only about 3 of them will fit the M715 due to length. My M35 Gasser has the same wires and about 1/2 of them will fit as well.

There is also the aviation market. They use the same type of wire as well. They have stricter requirements on when wires have to be changed out. So, a lot of good used airplane wires are still perfectly good, but more than X number of years old. I would suggest you take the shortest and longest wire you have to a local prop plane airport. Find the hanger where some poor overworked A&P is toiling away and start telling him what you are looking for. He probably has a box or bucket full of used wires that you can get for your time or scrap prices on the wire.

Remember this. The wires on the truck now are 40 years old. If you spend the money on new ones, you will never have to worry about them again. Something to think about once you are over the sticker shock.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

yea there was a time a some yrs. back when the stock of orignal surplus wires were gone an you couldnt find a new one anywhere now i guess some have found the materials to make them new but of course those materials are at current value. the old surplus wires were gotten at undoubtedly much lower cost so they were cheap to get while they lasted. and there were so many more m-37 m-35 etc so their surplus inventorys havent been completely depleted yet

thanks for input guys. I did not think about the 40 year concept. I broke down and bought a set from ablinn at ebay. Once again, thanks guys