Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing the 725 back from the dead

Default Bringing the 725 back from the dead

OK finally I have enough money to begin working on the jeep. I have decided that I am not going to trade it for an M37. It will crank but it will not start. I always end up working on it by myself but next week, me and a buddy of mine are going to try to start it. This way we can check for spark and stuff like that. Are there any parts that you guys can think of that are probably in need of replacing and I can get without many problems?. It ran 5 years ago but it has just been sitting since then. thanks

Change the oil and filter, fuel filter, and air filter. That gives you a clean base to start from. Get some fresh gas too as the stuff in the tank is most likely turned or turning into varnish and will have water in it from condensation from the hot and cold cycles of your weather. If you can drain the old gas out first. Spray some carb cleaner down into the carb prior to turining it over also. Make sure all you battery cables are tight and clean so you have good voltage and some fresh charged up batteries.

Then make sure your at #1 TDC and that the distributor lines up corectly and give it a crank.
    Zone holster maker

Get a quart of Marvel Mystery oil and put a little in each cylinder. It will help the valves and rings come to life. Put the rest in the crankcase when you change the oil.

this is probably a stupid question but where is the fuel filter and how hard is it to clean/find a replacement?

im the friend of m725kid and aslo need to know where the points are located. i have a 91 cherokee all lifted and so the old beast is a learning experience for the both of us.

Fuel filter is super easy to find and replace (assuming it hasn't been moved from the stock location). I replaced whatever peice of garbage tin fuel filter the past Fire Dept. had put on, and installed a good NAPA see through one so I can check the status of it.

I did a quick glance through the manuals and found this picture that is supposed to show something totally different, but it gives a good view of where you would locate the stock fuel filter (inside the blue circle). The picture is a bit grainy, but you can see that the filter is an inline type filter that is located just prior to the fuel inlet on the carburetor.

68 M-715
    67 M-725

thanks that helps alot. is there somewhere to drain the gas tank without having to take it completely out.

You can drain the gas via the bottom of the tank where there should be a drain plug. Did you LOOK. Or siphon it out.

Look under the tank. There should be a plug you can remove.

i removed my drain plug by rolling it off the trailer without ramps