Thread: Windshield-Cowl Seal

Default Windshield-Cowl Seal

I am replacing the windshield to cowl rubber. What do I need to mount it? Does it need screws or rivets? Before I tear into it this weekend and make 10trips to the hardware store, I just want to get my ducks in a row. Thanks.
    1969 M715 WO/W

Blog Entries

Screws. I used stainless because the old one were MAjor rusted. Also use MUCH PB Blaster.

I assume you are installing a new one from Memphis? Screws are what you need. But, don't go getting them gorilla tight. Just snug them up and see if the windshield will stand up. There is a perfect length to the screws that will hold the cowl seal without pushing it out and without stopping the windshield from standing up. Basically, to tight and the seal will distort and too loose the screw stops the windshield from sitting right.

But, the new seal will hold the windshield up a lot higher than your old 40 year old seal. So much so in fact that I have to use a ratchet strap to pull the windshield back far enough for my hard top to clear it when I put it on. Kwai had the same problem after he installed a new Memphis seal as well. 7 months later on mine and it is just a little bit higher than with the old seal by the way.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    the new seal will hold the windshield up a lot higher than your old 40 year old seal. So much so in fact that I have to use a ratchet strap to pull the windshield back far enough for my hard top to clear it when I put it on.
    Yes, I got mine from Memphis. Thanks for the advice. The clamps that hold the windshield to the dash inside the cab have always been real loose. Now I know why. Hopefully it won't be too much of a chore with the soft top. I bet the screws are rusted after 40 years, the pointers will save me some time. Especially since it has been in the 100's (degrees) here. Phew! Hot.
    1969 M715 WO/W

Luckily when I did mine, which was one I got from AB Linn, all my screws came out clean, so I reused them. Luckily my truck did not have any rust, but the sun after 40 year had dried and cracked the original one. Plus it had several layers of paint. It went in in a snap and I had no problems hooking the top of the soft top frame back up when I was done.

I was worried that there were rivets I would have to drill out, thank goodness that is not the case. At least with rust screws, I have a chance. I hope it works out as easy as yours BEAST.
    1969 M715 WO/W

I pulled the windshield and painted it and replaced the glass at the same time. It only takes about 15 min to replace the cowl seal and I was able to reuse all the screws.

Well, I got it done. Had to drill out only one screw. I was able to reuse the rest. The windshield was harder to lock back down, but with a good tug it went into place. It seems the old seal had thicker sections where the screws went in to space it out correctly. Now I see what was meant by being careful how tightly you screwed it in. All, in all, it went well.

However my wife already made a bet with me it will leak worse that the old one!

We will see if I owe her $10.
    1969 M715 WO/W