Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing starter drive bendix

Default Replacing starter drive bendix

Does anyone know a part #for, or where I could get a starter drive bendix for my stock 24v starter?

Federal Stock Number: 2920-933-3590
    Refrence Number: 11640751

Some mil surplus vendors use one, some the other...

Outside of the usual...VPW, Memphis Equiipment, AB Linn, Surplus City Jeep Parts...I dont know...wish I did...

I realize many civilian parts will not work on our motors, but what about a 230 bendix drive from an early waggie or truck? It might work.

At least you know the whole starter does not need replacing. Cracks me up when people spend a substantial sum on a reman starter when the bendix can be simply replaced and not the entire unit. Good luck with it.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

I have one of each on the bench...maybe I should tear in and see...

Here is the thing, my stock 24v starter bendix was replaced about 8 months ago by a rebuild shop. Now after maby fifty starts it is gone again. I went back to the place that rebuilt it and he says he can get a replacement bendix (same as before) for $70.00 plus $50.00 to rebuild again. I then took the starter apart and removed the bendix (EASY). I brought it to another rebuilder and he says that the gear on the bendix is too small. I dont have the old bendix to compare but I have a spare flywheel ring that he can size it up to. If I had the measurments or the original bendix gear I would know for sure what would work.

What's a bendix?

Seriously....

-- Tim Taylor

The little gear on the end of a starter motor is called the Bendix. Some also call it the starter pinion gear.

Bendix is the generic name because they made them. Actually the story goes like this:

A man named Byron Carter had just had his Cartercar Company bought by GM in 1910. Mr. Carter stopped one day while driving around to help a lady hand crank her car. The car backfired giving Mr. Carter a broken arm and jaw. He was taken to the hospital and never left. Pneumonia was the actual cause of death.

Henry Leland was the head of Cadillac at the time and a good friend of Mr. Carter. He used his position to make sure that kind of thing didn't happen to anyone else. Being a true gearhead, Mr. Leland didn't even think about changing medical care. Instead he commisioned his friend Charles Kettering to find a way to eliminate the hand crank.

Mr. Kettering was an inventor and had already formed the Dayton Electronic Company (Delco) with some other people. He did the electronic starter work on his own and when he had a working model, the company that sold the product to Delco was named Bendix. That way Kettering made money twice on it. He went on to be the head of Cadillac himself and I think the GM leader before the war. He had over 200 patents in his name before he died.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Yea!! The old Tim is back. LOL Thanks Tim that was cool.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

I've known it as a pinion. I've heard the term "bendix," but never paid attention to it. Cool. Thanks....

To which "old Tim" do you refer? Me and my stupid questions, or Barrman with his historical answers?!
    -- Tim Taylor

I think me and my historical answers. I used to answer just about all stuff like that. I thought people got tired of it so I stopped.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw