Thread: Engine swap with a Ranger Overdrive

Talking Engine swap with a Ranger Overdrive

I was just wondering if anyone had some info and or pics of a chevy 350 bolted to a ranger overdrive. I have the ranger set-up for a chevy 350 to bolt-up in front and a t98 behind the overdrive. It came from Advance Adapters for this in mind. I want to keep the tranny in it's stock location and use a pusher fan. Will the clearance to the radiator be too close if I use a 1986 corvette TPI set-up? How much clearance will there be? Any suggestions?

I'm going to watch this post.

I believe the quality of radiator and proper shroud setup will affect your cooling more than actual distance. I had a homemade shroud w/stock radiator that would overheat with both the pusher and mechanical fan running. A temp fix was an incorrect radiator that didn't fit properly and no pusher fan or shroud at all. The heating problems went away, which tells me 95 percent was the radiator. I don't know for sure if the length of the ranger will offset much of the length you save from the shorter sbc, but I'd say it should.

Thanks, wrecker. I think maby I will go for a summit aluminum radiator and hope a puller fan will slide in behind. Everyone tells me they work far better than pushers.

The ranger overdrive will add 7" to the lengh of your engine and trans combo

hi, called advanced adapters today to check on adaptability from 350 chevy to t98 using the ranger overdrive. They told me it can't be done with the stock input shaft. Please, if you know what i need to make this work please share. Fyi, i have measured lengths of t-98(stock location) ranger and 81 camaro 350 with stock radiator and without the fan it will fit perfectly. also check out novak adapters their web site has a ton of info about m715 and adaptability.

The M715 version of the T-98 is meant only for the military 230 engine. That is why those places sell the $500 adaptor kits.

You will be money, time and frustration levels ahead if you find a engine/transmission combination all together in a donor truck and just swap them together. If you don't care about the overdrive part, a mid '70 Chevy 3/4 or 1 ton with a married 205 on the back of the 465 would be a great swap.

A lot of us have gone the 2wd overdrive transmission route. I have a 2wd NV4500 behind my 396 Big Block. Use the same short shaft to feed the stock divorced NP200 t-case. Lots of Zoners have 2wd automatics in their trucks as well.

Do it however you want, but looking into the other options is free and might really save you in the end.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

May and June '08 issues of Jp Magazine. "Over The Road M-715" Pt I and II. I put a Ranger, SM465, and Atlas behind the SBC in my '68 M-truck. Plenty of photos.

Unless you're lifting the snot out of your truck the oil pan is gonna hit the front axle. You gotta move the tranny/t-case back.

A few things to consider about the Ranger:

- More expensive than a NV4500

- Makes the synchros in the transmission work harder, since they have that extra inertia to overcome.

- You still have a big jump from 3rd gear to 4th. Not a big deal in the case of a gasoline engine, but diesels with narrow powerbands don't appreciate that.

Just some thoughts.