Thread: Carb upgrade options?

Talking Carb upgrade options?

Howdy,

I own a 1963 J200 pickup with the Tornado 230 engine. The folks over at the IFSJA reccomended yall to possibly be able to answer my questions.

I have a Holley list 2415 carb that just quit working and no one around here rebuilds them. I looked in my Haynes Holley manual but it dosent cover this particular model. Is there another carb that would be a bolt on upgrade with an electric choke?

Also, is there somewhere that yall can reccomend that sells the replacement gaskets for the rocker cover?

Any help yall can provide to keep this old engine alive and kicking would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Farmer Jack

Welcome Jack.

I do not know the carb numbers like some others. They will pitch in with what help they can.

Have you tried to get a vc gasket at a NAPA? I have been amazed at what is still out there for the ohc 6. If not NAPA, try Memphis Equipement or AB Linn. Both either have it or know who does. Another option is VPW. There is a link at the top of the page to their price list.

They also come up on E-Bay every know and then.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The carb...a Holley 230 will bolt on...the factory used both the 2415 and the 2300...I happen to have a 2415 here...if you do change, I would be interested in the old one.

The 2300 comes in 2 sizes...a 350 CFM and a 500 CFM version...you want the 350 CFM model. The 500 is TOO big.

I dont know if those have an electric choke.

I thought the valve covers were different, civilian vs. military. I am not sure of this but thought it had came up a long time ago.

I have a civvy valve cover on my motor right now...long story but they are the same.

How about junkyard TBI FI?

I'd like to see somebody try the 4.3 TBI on a 715 230.

Here's everything you need to know:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229253
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Valve cover gasget is VS26587 at NAPA. It is manufactured by Victor Reinz and lists for $12.96 (plus tax and $6.50 shipping). Napa might be switching back to all Fel-Pro products though, but this is the part number to start.
    1969 M715 WO/W