Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Electrical Supplies

Default Military Electrical Supplies

There are several threads going on about wiring and wiring harnesses. Besides the usual "it is your truck, do what you want and can personally afford" discliaimer. I thought I would go over a few things.

3 lever switches are the heart of the stock wiring system. Besides the alternator, batteries and on/off switch. The light system is the stock wiring. You will need at least one spare. I went through 3 used ones until I got one that worked.

Here is the schematic I like to use when referring to any light issues and wiring.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...g/lighting.pdf

E-Bay is a good source for 3 lever switches. So is Saturn Surplus, Memphis and AB Linn.

One place I found that has all the switches, wiring harnesses, Pachard connectors, wires and turn signal stuff is Star Ordnance. Call Keven at 270-877-0813 and he will fix you up. He even has the water proof military 24 V Chevy V8 distributors for around $250.00.

I started a thread a few weeks ago about using a new M35A2 wiring harness on the M715. I am still going to persue that. They just have been jumping from around $50 to $150 in the last few hours of the auction lately.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Barrman mentioned the availability of a waterproof distributor for a Chevy V8 in the above post.

I am not an electrician by any means, and the difference between 12V and 24V to me means 1 v. 2 batteries. I like the 24V components in the M715 and would like to maintain them after a motor transplant.

With the above mentioned distributor, is it then possible to do a SB350 transplant and keep the lights, instruments, etc. stock? If so, I'd actually prefer to source a similar sized-to-stock motor transplant and disguise it as original (like an AMC258 with which I've had great success) in appearance if a 24V distributor was available.

A further discussion would be to do away with the stock look and go with a 24V diesel engine. What am I not considering with my limited knowledge on this 24V subject?

24V alternator and starter for the transplanted engine. The alternator is easy. It could be the stock M715 one with a custom mount or a Delco 10 si or 12 si. Cost would drive me to make the stock one work with custom brackets. Most starter rebuild places could do the starter conversion. You could also buy a 24V starter.

Other than that, it is completely doable.

The M113 APC came with a Chevy 283 V8. That is where the military water proof distributors come from. The will fit any small block V8 along with all standard deck big blocks. But, they have no vacuum advance and still use points. Kind of a compramise on new and old.

A diesel engine doesn't care what voltage is around it. As long as the starter turns and the alternator charges, it is happy. A M35 in tank fuel pump might need to be fitted to the tank to act as a lift pump, but that is about all the difference.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

That's very interesting information. Thanks for the reply Barrman.

When I get to that point, I'll research it a bit further. Currently, the 230 was smoking a bit when I pulled it from storage. It's likely from sitting for four months, but those observations always start the thinking process on future considerations with the power plant.

I had thought of making a sealed distibutor and feel confident in the attempt of just making a waterproof case around the existing one but if someone already has them great. I am not an electrician either so here's a question. Would the sealed dist. you were talking about work on a 93' 350 with the original TBI setup?

Just a note, I'd try to run a 12v starter on 24v before buying a high$$$ 24v unit.

That's simply because it has been done before with good results, and if you happen to have a 12v unit laying there, why not try it to save some money.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Good point on the starter Doug. PC used a 12V starter on his inline Chevy 6. He called me up over the weekend to ask a carburator question. While I was on the phone, he started the engine. It sounded like a turbine winding up.

The V8 military distributor is just like the one in the stock 230 with 2 more plug wires connected basically. Any TBI engine needs to have an electronic distributor to function correctly. The '93 Chevy had a remote coil for the distributor. I supposed you could gut a military unit and make the Chevy parts fit inside. A new wire connector would be needed for sure, but it is doable. I just would really hesitate to do that to a part that is going to cost over $200 just to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Just a note, I'd try to run a 12v starter on 24v before buying a high$$$ 24v unit.

That's simply because it has been done before with good results, and if you happen to have a 12v unit laying there, why not try it to save some money.

The converse may be true as well. One of my firetrucks had a 24V starter that had been used on 12V for many years. I changed it to a 12V civvy model because it was not turning fast enough but that was because the engine had some other problems. The 24V unit is slower on 12V but the stock 230 usually lights right up so it is not an issue.

On little correction here. The V8 chevy motor was NOT used in the M113, but instead in the M114 APC. Take a look at this link and you can see why they could use a SBC V8 motor. You could park on in your garage with no problem.

http://www.primeportal.net/apc/m114_pt_walk.htm

If you take a look at the link APC home you can see the difference between a 113 and a 114.

Just wanted to clarify that.
    Zone holster maker

You are right Joe. I was not thinking correctly when I wrote that. Sorry for any confusion.