Thread: Valve Seals

Default Valve Seals

I need to replace my valve seals. I have in the past done this on other engines by pressurizing the cylinder with air pressure (so I won't drop the valve) and removing the rockers, springs and replacing the seals, then adjusting the clearance. Has anyone here done this on a 230 tornado with any luck? I hate to tear down the engine for an easy fix.

The valves springs look like they might be a hassle to compress. Can anyone recommend a good valve spring tool that doesn't take up alot of room while compressing the springs?

You help would be appreciated. Dave in NM
    1969 M715 WO/W

I have not done it on a head installed on a 230, but I did pull a few valves off a removed 230 head last summer. I used the screw type valve spring compressor. The gear puller/screw down one. Plenty of room to hook it up and use it.

Yes, the air in the spark plug hole method will work. Just make sure it is in neutral before you put the air to it.

A trick air plane guys have done for years is to thread a nice fluffy cotton rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Then turn the engine until the rope is holding the valve up.

I like the air method. But, we don't have a huge propellor that is going to cut off our arm when the air moves the piston down either. Or a top and bottom spark plug hole to get all the little rope fibers out when we are done.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

That sounds like the best tool. I have a lever spring compressor, but it is too big and I would have to remove the intake and exhaust, also it needs to be mounted to a bolt on the head, which I'd have to put it on a rocker bolt. I don't want to take a chance at stripping one of those! Well, I will give it a try with the air pressure and I will buy a new spring compressor. Thanks.
    1969 M715 WO/W

I've done the compressed air method on the 230 - works fine. Also used the spring compressor that Tim mentioned - looks kinda like a light duty gear puller but the hooks are offset to accomodate the spring winding.

Good luck getting the correct valve seals. If you don't have them already, you might be best off looking for something common that fits the same.

Chris

I have did this on the 230 motor last year. I bought new seals from Memphis Equipment. The seals were not cheap like $2.00 each...it was over $30 with shipping for a set of 12 if I remember correct.

I pressurized the cylinders with air and used a regular old type spring compressor. It was a dirty job and my back was aching after it...I wound up straddling the motor standing in the engine compartment! I remember there were two or three valve springs that were a bit difficult - I seem to think of an obstruction when putting the valve spring tool on the spring.

The Memphis seals were nice...they had plenty of them...but not cheap! No more blue smoke which was great...the old ones were brittle!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfrankie View Post
    I have did this on the 230 motor last year. I bought new seals from Memphis Equipment. The seals were not cheap like $2.00 each...it was over $30 with shipping for a set of 12 if I remember correct.
    Aren't the civilian valve seals the same?
    1969 M715 WO/W

I don't know...not much seems to change over etc. I would just call up Memhpis and order 12 and be done with it. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and spend $$$! They were quality seals though...not like a typical rubber ones found on any 1970's V8 from the big three....

I already have the civy seals, that is why I was reluctant. I have an extra head, I will see if they fit on that one first. If not, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and make up a good story to the wife why I bought 2 sets.
    1969 M715 WO/W