Thread: Paper air filter and dist vent/vac lines.

Default Paper air filter and dist vent/vac lines.

A couple things-
    Is there a # for paper air filter element? The vent/vac line schematic shows two lines to the dist. I'm guessing one is vac advance and the other is a vent. both were removed from mine. I haven't looked closely for them yet but all I quickly saw was a female 1/8' fitting knind of facing forward on the bottom.Which line is this and where is the other?-TB

The stock military distributor does not have vacuum advance. One of the lines comes from the manifold (vacuum) and the other goes up to the air breather. I can't remember which one goes where in the dist. but if no one else posts up, I can look at mine tonight.

Check the manuals for where the line enters. A picture is worth 1000 words. Also note: in the 230 tornado engine, a vacuum leak can change your timing reading by as much as 20-40 degrees. Be sure to seal off any unused vacuum lines.
    1969 M715 WO/W

Also note: in the 230 tornado engine, a vacuum leak can change your timing reading by as much as 20-40 degrees.
    I haven't heard this before. Where did you learn this?

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    I haven't heard this before. Where did you learn this?
    From my 715 and working on other engines. When I first got my m715, the vacuum line to the fuel pump/wiper was disconnected. You could hear it sucking air and the idle was increased by it. I did a timing just to check things out when I got it home and the reading was way off. I disconnected the steel line to the wiper pump and closed it off, but left the distributer line in place. I re-timed it and saw the difference.

I did a vacuum test and made sure there were no other leaks and that the valve train was working correctly. The vacuum leak made a difference. Just about any engine will show a timing difference with a vacuum leak. Never leave a vacuum leak, it really messes up engine performance in engine rpm, fuel economy and power.

To clarify, a vacuum leak does not change the timing mechanically, but it may give you a BAD TIMING READING where a mechanic might change it to compensate.
    1969 M715 WO/W