Thread: chevy bolt pattern

Default chevy bolt pattern

When did chevy change the bolt pattern an the engines to trans?

Small block or big block? I think the small block changed when the "Vortec/700R4" came along or maybe the 4L60-E and 4L80-E transmissions, not sure. The Big Block didn't go to Gen V (5) Until '96 and changed to Gen VI (6) '04. Other than the heads and main caps I'm not sure on the tranny mounts. I'm still messin' with Gen IV (4) stuff.

I found a 1990 chevy truck with a 350 or 305 and a 5 speed trans..just wanted to know if it would bolt up to my early style bbc

My two manuals show that Chevy used Muncie manual transmissions at least to '90 but that period between '88 and '90 a lot of things changed. (fuel injection, transmissions, engines, body styles) What did you get it out of a pick-up, Suburban, Blazer and is it the old body (square grille) or the newer? Plus I think the output shaft is differant on a motor meant for a stick or vice versa.

All 1955 to present Chevy V8 engines, all I-6 engines and all but the 60 degree V6 use the same bellhousing pattern. The only difference is the bolt behind the #8 cylinder on the newer blocks. The bolt hole isn't there anymore. But, the other 5 are and they will work.

Now, transmission to bellhousing patterns have changed multiple times mostly in the last 15 years.

Your only problems are going to be bellhousing to transmission. Engine to bellhousing should be no problem at all.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

So if i get trans and bellhousing as one than it will bolt up to my early style 454

Unless it is from a 60 degree V6 or one of the DOHC Corvette motors from the mid '90's yes!
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw