Thread: Electrical problems, pt. 604

Default Electrical problems, pt. 604

Finally got the truck up and running this week, after lots of butt-cold weather here in the Deep South. Anyway, I was driving it to the parents' house to steal some firewood, and it quit for a few seconds, recovered, then quit for good. It is acting just like I turned off the switch, right down to dieseling when I coasted to a stop (like it usually does, I haven't gotten it timed correctly yet). The voltmeter shows good charge, and it turns over quickly, just no fire. Soooo... does anyone have an idea what might have suddenly crapped out in the electrical system?

From the "quit for a few seconds, recovered, then quit for good" phrase, I would almost think a fuel problem. Have you checked for spark to verify?

Bill, my first guess if you are using the stock distributor is the coil or points. Do the usual points test. Pull the cap, turn on the ignition and see if pretty blue sparks happen when the engine turns over. Or you can just stick a screw driver in there with the ignition on and ruin the tip while making the points open and close while screwdriver keeps arcing instead. I got to do this on my M35(R) last night. If you don't get a spark at either the points or the screwdriver, then I would suspect coil. If your screw driver is making them but not the points, then turn off the ignition. Repeat, turn off the ignition, seperate them and run a file between them and then turn the power back on and see if you get a spark everytime they open.
    Last edited by Barrman; February 17th, 2007 at 08:39 PM.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I concur exactly with Barrmans post.
    If the ignition checks out, fuel delivery.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Spray some carb cleaner in the intake. If it fires then most likely problem is the fuel system. If it doesn't fire then it's probably a coil or some other ignition problem. Be sure to check that the power wire to the ignitor is in good condition. I've had problems with that wire before as well.

Don't overlook the condensor for the points, they will do some strange things at times .

What your CJ quit?
    I am gonna go with the fuel answer.Pour some gas into the carb out of a bottle,I don't like using starting fluid.
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?

Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    What your CJ quit?
    I am gonna go with the fuel answer.Pour some gas into the carb out of a bottle,I don't like using starting fluid.
    Redneck1
    Naw, Will, the M715 did. Got the CJ pretty well straightened out last month, just needs a carb to run 100%.

Will get out later to try the above solutions, just crawling out of the bed now. This night working stuff trashes your days, y'know? Anyway, thanks for the ideas, fellas.

I agree with the fuel thing. Althought it could be ignition. Check for spark at the plug. It maybe the coil or condenser if the points check out.

An easy test for the fuel pump is a volume test. Just attach fuel hose to the output line between the fuel pump and carb (where the fuel filter is located is an easy spot). Put the hose into an old oil bottle (quart bottles usually have the volume measurement labeled on the side) and have someone crank the engine for 15 seconds. It should put out around 6-8 oz. of fuel in that time for good engine operation. That test would either isolate or rule out the pump and you don't have to take it apart or buy a vacuum tester.

Just be sure to be carefull with the gasand let us know how it goes solving the problem.
    1969 M715 WO/W

Thanks for the responses, fellas. Was warm enough to work on stuff today but had to rescue my Honda from the dealership. Got silly in some slushy icy stuff and slid it sideways up a curb. The bill today hurt pretty bad. Anyway, I am off to warmer weather for a couple of weeks. Friend's wedding, etc. No M715 work til I get back, gonna to lay in the sand and forget about work, crazy women, and dodgy vehicles. Will post up what's wrong w the truck when I get back.