Thread: KD Rollbar

Default KD Rollbar

I've seen M-715 roll bar threads on the Zone in the past, but was never interested in using up the space in the cab or bed for a bar or more importantly, losing the low clearance available with the windshield down.

However, what if a roll bar could be "knocked-down" or partially disassembled for storage clearance issues and such. I'd compromise on losing the space if I could get the bar to disassemble, but still be structurally safe when assembled for wheeling purposes.

In theory, it doesn't appear to be a very difficult feat to design, but I don't have much experience in structural engineering for roll bars. Why couldn't the permanent structure be a larger diameter tube, and the narrower removable tube part slide into and pin to secure it or vise-versa? Any thoughts on this crazy idea?

You may get some ideas from your local tractor dealers showroom.
    Many ROPS fold for low clearance barns.

Default Bolt in roll bar

For my CJ8 I have a bolt in cage for my cab. Maybe something like this. The design would need to be changed some. Mine is not designed to be quickly taken in and out. The large hoop behind the seat would take a while to remove to have a flush surface. But maybe using their contruction concept to could make a unbolt and remove top portion and the cab/bed tie in points remain.

Here is the web site. http://rockhard4x4parts.com/images/S...RAMBLER-01.jpg

Here is a quick sketch. Looks a little crude, Paint doesn't have the same features as AutoCAD.

A fold-down rollbar is useless if it is folded down when you need it. And yes, it's just as easy to roll over on the street as it is on the trail. I once saw a regular cargo van that rolled over after getting t-boned.

Since you never know when you'll need it, I'd recommend staying with a regular rollbar unless you have a need to put your truck into a low clearance situation such as air transport or exploring sewer pipes. <g>

Air Transport I can see, but sewer pipes...hadn't thought of that one.

I kind of like the idea of an upper assy that would slide down into a receiver/upright (left and right) and be held in place with a 3/4" pin. (Think: military bunk bed adapter) Could work and be easy to fab using square or rectangular tube, as well as quick to erect or knock down.
    Did I just say erect???? Sorrrrryyyy. hahahahaha