Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine article about SBC install

Default Magazine article about SBC install

A couple of weeks ago someone posted the info on an article that showed the SBC install in our truck.
    Could someone please repost that info and I promise this time I'll write it down. haha
    Same old saw...I'm doing the SBC/sm465 thing and will start just as soon as I get the whole picture gelled in my head on how to do it. I've seen enough, and copied enough to do the 205 when the time comes but does anyone have a comprehensive or detailed "how to" on the Eng/Trans setup? I've seen "this" shot and "that" tip but if it's available in one neat package I'd almost pay money for the info....(not a real offer haha, well now that I've said that...maybe I would after all)
    Thanks yall, trying to do this without this website would make this project beyond my regular scope...Tracy

Someone will post pics of Spicer's motor mounts soon. Use those to bolt in the 350/465 trans, fit up the jackshaft, and go. Its that simple.(basicly)

Okay so use some basic motormounts that will fit, like a 72 Chevy truck, but what will I need to make or modify the trans mount? Will it line up with the stock trans mount?

Thanks Gimp...

You are going to get a lot of "I did this" versions of the motor mount issue. It comes down to 3 basic choices.

1) Late '60's Chevy truck mounts that have the stud just like the stock 230 mount sticking out of the mount. Widen the slot on the mount pedestals on the frame and the engine is in. The passenger side valve cover is real close and sometimes into the firewall doing it this way.

2) Cut off the frame pedestals and either build new ones or make/build mounts that come off the engine and go all the way to the frame rails. Like a lot of kits for baby Jeep SBC conversions offer. I like this the best from an engineering stand point, but didnt' want to take the time to make this much stuff and figure out this much.

3) These have become known in our world as "Spicer Plates." That is because a former member, Spicergear, made these up and actually took pictures and told other people about them. Take a 1/4"x4" piece of flat stock. Trace the engine side of a Chevy motor mount onto the plate. Drill out the 3 holes and bolt it to your engine. Leave the stock 230 motor mounts in the frame. Set your engine into the truck where you want it. Mark on the plate where the 230 motor mount holes are. Remove the plates, drill and tap the holes. Cut off all un needed metal and put the plates back on. Your Chevy engine is now bolted in.

I did this in April of 2005 with my 396/NV4500 combo. Here is the drivers side installed taken from under the truck then.

Here is the passenger side. I didn't have the hole drilled yet. This was taken while I was setting it up.

Then just set up the transmission so it is the straight and the right higth. I just used angle iron that first weekend and have since changed it. Here is what I made out of scrap metal sitting around.

I actually connected the drive shaft to the transmission first. Then figured out where the transmision needed to be, made that mount and then started on the engine plates. I have a little over 6,000 miles on this same basic set up since.

Do whatever you want. All of the above have been done and work great.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Has anyone here tried the after market motor mounts they are selling at pep boys? I think it is made by energy suspensions? It is a poly and steel mount that looked like it was low profile enough to be of use in our trucks with a V8.

This is what I usally use. This way, you can locate the engine where YOU want, not where the mounts want you to.
    http://eshop.advanceadapters.com/com...roduct_id=1691

Tried looking this up - doesn't match to anything on their page - discontinued?

Their search engine came up with no results for a sbc to a 72-84 grand waggy.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Default JP mag article

I have an old issue of Jp magazine that had a fairly good article on the swap
    I just checked their web site. I couldn't find it .
    If you are interested in seeing their article send me a PM I'll hook you up.