Thread: Rear brake drums, should I turn em

Default Rear brake drums, should I turn em

Pulled off my rear brakes to install new backing plates with the Ford wheel cylinders, loaded with new brake shoes. Thanks Dan, I'll be installing new bearing seal, packing and checking the bearings. Will replace bearings if need be. Should I turn the drums? They are not blued and appear to have never been overheated. The current shoes are about 80 to 90 % and the current stock wheel cylinders look moist, not leaking. I am going to clean up the drums and paint, should I turn them before installing or not worry about. Let me know your ideas. Thanks Fisherman

i hope you marked the drums so they go back on exactly where they came off. and for turnning them, if there not groved from the rivets clean em and put em back on.

If the drums are smooth and not scored, I would NOT have them turned. You want them to last as long as possible!

Hit em with some brake cleaner, dry, and install.

I will put them back on the side they came from, someone else could have mixed them up easy though, it was a fire truck. Why do they need to go back exaclty where I took them off from???

Cause the drums are machined for the hubs on which they are mounted.

The tolerances are not close enough to make them truly "interchangeable parts". (Eli Whitney is whirling dervishly in his grave)

If you install them on the wrong hub, or even rotate them one position on the "right" hub, they can cause excessive drum run-out, poor brake performance or brake shoe life, noise, vibration, etc. You get the idea.

So - mark them before removal. If it's too late for that, try to keep them on the hub they started on. Try all three positions for the best fit. If you don't know which is which, bummer.

better listen to twodogs todd.
    bob

Todd,
    You are months away from driving your truck. Don't worry about the drum fitment issue right now. Yes, keep them on the same corner they came off of. Yes, if they can be bolted back onto the hub in the exact same way it is better. You don't know which way they were bolted on before and they were probably not put on right before. So, you can put them on and not think about them again until you start driving it. If you get the head bobing surge, then one corner at a time start trying the 2 other positions the drum could be bolted on and see which is best.

Or, since you have the truck all apart right now. Remove the backing plates or at least the wheel cylinders. What ever you have to do to get a dial indicator inside the drum. Bolt the drum on and spin it. Record how much runout you get. Do this for the other 2 positions the drum can be mounted. If yours is like mine, 1 position will be drastically less runout than the other two. I used number/letter punches to mark the placement on my hub/drum sets. Weird color spray paint is a lot easier method and easier to see. Just mark it and do the 3 other corners.

That make sense?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks Tim, Great idea. Yes backing plates are off. I'll borrow a dial indicator, give it a go. I set them up with the least runout. Finish them up and won't worry until the week or so I start driving it. Yeh, it will be awhile yet. Thanks