Thread: RPM question

Default RPM question

I have been thinking of adding a tach in my truck and wondered if anyone has tried the cluster panel from a duece so as to use all the original gauges plus a duece tach? Also does anyone here know the rpm of a stock truck at 60?

Someone else will have to help you with the rpm@60 question, but I know the deuce gauge cluster won't fit the 715. I did see a setup from an M38 or M151 that looked like it could work, but I didn't have the truck with me at the time. Most people just stick a tach on the stering column, anyway.

What size tires do you have? That will make some difference in rpms at 60. When I had the original 34's on, I was doing right around 3K+, with the 38 XLs I do right around 25-2800. Sad that I haven't driven in it in so long that I can't remember what the rpm range is. I got myself a stewart warner 0-3500 tach. Going over 3K with the stock 230 makes it sound like its going to blow apart, lol. What is the 230's "redline" or max rated rpm anyway?

Thanks guys. That gives me a good idea of where i'm at on mine. I 'm running 36in. I have been having trouble with my truck when it is wound up a little. It acts like a rev limiter or starving for fuel. I tried to get it on the dyno today but they were backed up so i'll have to wait.

Just for clarity, we are talking about the stock 230 engine, right? What rpm are you experiencing as a limit?

Hey, I should be online for at least another hour, jump into the chat room if you can.
    Last edited by rpgdeity; February 2nd, 2007 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by green goat View Post
    I have been having trouble with my truck when it is wound up a little. It acts like a rev limiter or starving for fuel.

Some of the later trucks had a governer of some kind. I'm sure others will chime in who know more about it. If you are all stock it may be acting like its bumping a governer because it is

Sorry, I should have added that this is a sbc with tbi, my second one to build this way. The first truck went so smooth my kids could have done it but this one has been up hill all the way.

Mine acted similar recently when revved around 2800-3000, but mine also acted as though it was running out of fuel. An easy fix was cleaning the fuel lines, as there's some junk in the tank to clean out later.

Regarding the dash panel, Beast/David Allen (?) custom made a real nice one with the tach for his truck. There were some good photos on the previous board.

I pondered this idea some when putting a 725 together . I ended up mounting the tach just above steering column . Hated to cut the hole but seemed to be the only option at that time .Visibility is good and got used to seeing it there after awhile .

That is just how mine acts but you can back off the accelerator and it stops the buckin and stalling feeling. The lines are new and the tank has been cleaned and sealed, so other than the fuel pump it is an all GM setup. It is a Holley pump that mounts externally with the pressure and volume specs. that show for factory in tank pumps. I also thought of mounting a tach seperate of the cluster and hated to cut a hole in the dash. I'll try to find the pics of the one Beast made first. By the way, your truck looks great inside.