Thread: Increase MPG on Buick 350

Did you know you can take a 2bbl intake off a 73 skylark and increase you mpg by like 3 to 5 miles per gallon on the truck motors, because the intake holes where your carb mounts are bigger on the car motors. My dad claims 20mpg on his 63 jeep pickup with 36" armstrong tires.

Let's see the calculations. Bigger holes eh?

I shall remain skeptical.

If you're running a 2bbl there's half your fuel economy problem right there.

Starting in I think 1971, GM went to a bigger rochester 2bbl carb, and the holes were bigger in the intake. I dont know about the mileage guessing though. Barrman, could probably remember the year better than me .

Actually Bob, I can't give you an exact date. I just had to track down a small hole 2 barrel for a customer and it took several tries to get the right carb and insulator gasket.

I "think" the bigger 2 barrel came about because of the pollution rules more than anything. So, that would logically mean 1967/1968 as the transformation years. It just doesn't work out that way though. Pretty much much mid to late '70 is going to be the big one and early '60's is going to be the small one. I think the different divisions of GM changed over on their own pace between then.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have a Buick 350 in my '63 Jeep J300, with a T18/dana 20, 3.55 gears and 29" tires. I get about 13MPG on the highway.

20 MPG with the same Jeep pick-up, with 36in tires (much more air drag and rolling resistance) - I think your Dad must have made a mistake in his math. I can see 15 as possible with a tune-up, and driving very gently. My stock 1995 Cherokee with the 4.0L never got past 20, with overdrive and fuel injection...