Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got pics of the M715 towbar feet?

Default Anyone got pics of the M715 towbar feet?

Does anyone have pics of an original set of towbar adapters (feet) for the M715 series? I see a lot of feet at shows and online, just want to know what to look out for.

Also, does anyone have a pic of how to mount the medium towbar to the front bumper on a -715?

The pieces to go between the towbar and the front of the truck are the 2 items stacked on the right hand edge of this image:

The pin at the bottom of those pieces is your front shackle pin. In the rear, it hooks to the towbar adapters with a shorter and fatter pin.
    In the middle of these is a hole that you can pin your towing shackle back on to this piece through.

Being it is a straight piece and is symetrical top and bottom, there really is no way to get the wrong...

To install the towbar, I brought a sawhorse to the front of the truck and laid the towbar legs on it. Put the pieces pictured above in the shackle mounts, then hook each leg of the towbar to the respective shackle piece. Then put the 2 legs of the towbar together with the big pin near the lunette eye.

I have added safety chains as well...independent of the towbar of course.

Best pic I have at the moment....chains were not on at this time:

I learned the hard way, don't use a tow bar if you have no front bumper!

Why not? Did it bend something?

Gimpy ended up spreading the frame horns that the towbar goes onto....it wasnt pretty....

Ouch!!

I really wish I had gotten a picture of the duct tape/ratchet strap/comalong winch fix for the trip home. Very ingenious thinking that made it work.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default M715 Towbar Adapter NSN?

I recently bought a Hunter Manufacturing Corp Medium Wheeled Vehicle Towbar (NSN: 4910-00-735-6056) on Gov Liquidation and downloaded Operator's Manuals TM 9-4910-593-12&P (May 94) and TM 9-4910-496-10 (Oct 72) but haven't found a NSN for the Adapters shown below.

Somewhere, I also saw a photo of an adapter that replaced the front shackles and appeared to be a 3/4" tounge plate with two pieces of 3/4" bar stock welded to the sides. The two side bars most likely had 3/4" holes for the shackle pins and the 3/4" plate connecting them would have a 1 " hole for the Towbar Clevis Pin.

My M715 was delivered from South Carolina a couple of weeks ago and the towbar is scheduled to arrive the first week of January. I'd appreciate any help in identifying the NSN and or sources for either style of towbar adapter. The weldment type would be easier to fabricate and that will probably be the next course of action unless I can find the real deal. Thanks for your help. Karl
    Karl

The proper ones show up on Ebay every few months. I got tired of waiting to buy the expensive things and made something of my own:
    My Tow Bar Mount Solution

I have used the above set up to pull about 200 miles and no complaints. If you have a winch M715. Get some M35 shackle mounts and bolt them to the top of the frame extensions and just forget about the very heavy, expensive and cumbersome M715 adaptors.

I have since bought a set of the original military adaptors. Haven't used them myself yet, but Pistolnut has and they work like they are supposed to.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I think I have a single 715 tow bar adapter if you are able to find just one(more). Prolly got some of those top bumper mounts too if you can't find anything close to ya.
    "We are here for the meeting!"